News Dev Proves You Can Do 3D Modeling With Raspberry Pi

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The timelapse makes it impossible to see how bad the interactive rendering really is. The pi's CPU is weak, but its GPU is simply horrid.
There is a system clock on the upper right corner that lets you see how sped up the time lapse is (I clocked it at 60x). It's not ideal, but it's not intolerable either, especially if you are in a pinch, like a dead gpu time.

Reactions: bit_user
May 20, 2020
The timelapse makes it impossible to see how bad the interactive rendering really is. The pi's CPU is weak, but its GPU is simply horrid.
The Pi is like Duct Tape, not the prettiest, but gets the job done. For a bit of light modelling for 3D printing it’s amazing! Such an affordable piece of kit can offer so much. I use a Pi4 as a desktop and it performs admirably, it’s functional, cost effective to run, tiny yet infinitely customisable. So yeah, you’re not going make or render movies using it, but the Pi was initially designed as a learning tool. This is just another piece of high end popular functional software that is now far more accessible to a MUCH wider market, that is the amazing thing...

People also forget a key feature of the Pi is that it makes a very affordable and functional thin client. You need more power to render, rent a cloud PC and stream it through the Pi. It will work out much cheaper in the long run.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
People also forget a key feature of the Pi is that it makes a very affordable and functional thin client.
For the price, it can't be beat. But, for just a little more money, ODROID has models that will beat it, hands down.

For $5 more than the 4 GB Pi v4, ODROID's new C4 is comparable on the CPU front, but runs much cooler and has a much better GPU:

For nearly 2x the price of the Pi v4, you can get the much-faster N2:

In this case, the biggest benefits are faster CPU performance, as well as lower power consumption and a faster, more-capable GPU. The benchmarks on its product page don't include the Pi v4 , because it launched a couple months prior, but the C4's page has both (see above).

May 20, 2020
True, but to be honest I have not tried either. I’m sure they’re both excellent boards, but do they have the support and active development that the Pi has (rightly or wrongly). The Pi might not be the king, but it has the following and backing of the people, maybe a little like VHS vs Betamax.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
do they have the support and active development that the Pi has (rightly or wrongly). The Pi might not be the king, but it has the following and backing of the people,
Pi definitely has the largest user community, no question about that.

While it's true that some Pi-wannabe's have really dodgy hardware quality and software issues, ODROID has been around and building ARM SBCs since long before the first Pi came onto the scene, and they officially support Ubuntu. You don't have to take my word for it, though. Check out their forums, for the latest.

Aug 13, 2020
The Pi is like Duct Tape, not the prettiest, but gets the job done. For a bit of light modelling for 3D printing it’s amazing! Such an affordable piece of kit can offer so much. I use a Pi4 as a desktop and it performs admirably, it’s functional, cost effective to run, tiny yet infinitely customisable. So yeah, you’re not going make or render movies using WalgreensListen it, but the Pi was initially designed as a learning tool. This is just another piece of high end popular functional software that is now far more accessible to a MUCH wider market, that is the amazing thing...

People also forget a key feature of the Pi is that it makes a very affordable and functional thin client. You need more power to render, rent a cloud PC and stream it through the Pi. It will work out much cheaper in the long run.

Effective and interesting post for reading

Last edited: