Developer Outsources Job to China, Surfs Internet All Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I hope his manager was fired as well. To be able to outsource all his work and just sit there doing nothing, the manager wasn't doing his job properly.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]I hope his manager was fired as well. To be able to outsource all his work and just sit there doing nothing, the manager wasn't doing his job properly.[/citation]
It was probably his idea in the first place!!

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm not sure if I'm in awe of him or think he's a complete moron.

On the one hand he did what most other companies do on a smaller scale, subcontracted his work to the lowest bidder and took on more work.

On the other he pretty much showed the entire planet you don't have to hire this guy, just get someone in China to do it for less than half the cost.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
How would one go about finding a programming outsourcing agency in China or India anyways? Is that all the company he hired does?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Dude, makes sense to me... except for the part where national security was involved... but if it was something benign like angry birds copy cat then by all means...

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Do it legally like all the other fortune 500 companies man! Rake in millions and when you can't make millions fold company and say it's no longer profitable. Go to another U.S company and screw them up same way. Keep doing this legally since corp laws are structured to allow them to profit this way.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]catherinebourne22[/nom]upto I looked at the paycheck ov $8324, I didnt believe that my cousin woz like actualy erning money parttime from their computer.. there aunt haz done this for less than 22 months and resantly cleared the dept on their house and purchased a top of the range Peugeot 205 GTi. we looked here, http://***[/citation]

OH MUH GAWD You mean I can do this and then just outsource someone to do all the part time computer work for me?

Fully back on topic, I recall watching a movie where a guy did this with a Chinese programmer. Could have been where he got the idea.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I did this before, but was someone i knew personally. Only because i was pressured with a lot of work. I asked for a contractor but no budget money.. so i got the work done with my own money. dedication to work or should i be hang?

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
This happens all the time in engineering - the experts are paid tons of money to outsource their work to students and rookies while they play Solitaire all day.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As a programmer I've been tempted to do something like this myself. The problem is that most work requires an in depth knowledge of your company, attending meetings, etc. I guess if I spent a bunch of time writing requirements docs, architecture plans, screen mockups, etc then I could send this to a dev in China. But that takes almost as much work as just coding it myself.

Mind you, I've only worked for smaller companies. Maybe larger companies actually provide developers with proper documentation.

[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]I hope his manager was fired as well. To be able to outsource all his work and just sit there doing nothing, the manager wasn't doing his job properly.[/citation]
This is stupid. The job of a manager isn't to be looking over the shoulders of employees making sure they're doing "what they're supposed to". You'd make a poor manager, mate - and I'm sure you wouldn't want to work with a manager like yourself :lol:

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Stupid. The company, not this worker. This company just fired their star coder. Regardless of whether or not he did the actual work, it was all legit work. He got the job done that he was given, despite his artistic way of doing it. Yes, he was smart to get someone else to do it for 20% of what he was making. Much smarter than his superiors obviously. But, outsourcing usually doesn't work unless you have a competent person keeping up with the people doing the work. He obviously did a good job at that and should have just been promoted to management. Fire the other developers, save your money and let him manage more outsourced work. This company was really dumb in how they handled this.

newblackmetal

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Kudos on the guying for trying this. This is capitalism defined!

There are a couple issues here though. First is that companies that do this are in full disclosure and everyone internally knows what's going on, whereas he kept it quiet. Secondly, it's a breach of security that alerted IT to this. If he contracted his job out to someone living locally (same city), would it have been flagged?

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]FinneousPJ[/nom]This is stupid. The job of a manager isn't to be looking over the shoulders of employees making sure they're doing "what they're supposed to". You'd make a poor manager, mate - and I'm sure you wouldn't want to work with a manager like yourself[/citation]

I'm guessing you've never worked as a manager. And with that attitude, you never will.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The only question I have is whether his employment contract forbade this activity. If it did - and it probably did, relating to a clause about disclosure of intellectual property and trade secrets - then he should be fired. Those clauses are in there for a reason - not the least of which being to protect those sensitive pieces of information from current and/or future competitors, as well as to protect the code itself from hidden back-door security holes, hidden superuser logins, etc. Whether or not he has a law degree - which he probably doesn't - the company did not hire him as a lawyer and certainly did not authorize him to execute contracts with third parties relating to their intellectual property and trade secrets. Nor did they authorize him to put those items at-risk.

Personally, I think the company should sue him for back pay to be held in escrow until such time as their own developers can review all of the code he submitted, both for security and for potential IP and trade secret leakage. Once and only when everything has been cleared and checks out ok, he can have back whatever money is leftover after paying for that investigative work.

The job of a software developer is more than just writing code to spec. If it isn't, then indeed the work can and should be outsourced to anyone by the R&D mgmt team. But if it is, then it isn't this guy's decision to make about what's ok and what's not.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]I'm guessing you've never worked as a manager. And with that attitude, you never will.[/citation]

Because he suggested that it's not always possible to micromanage the living hell our of employees you are managing?

My team has several remote workers. We spot check their work for accuracy, listen to some call data that is recorded, and monitor these individual's job performance and compare it to other members on the team. But, how exactly would management know if one of these people was outsourcing work, when all signs point to the individual being a productive worker who's meeting all their goals.

Do you suggest installing cameras in their homes? Perhaps using a remote control application to randomly watch what they're doing on their PCs? Or invest in private investigators to infiltrate their lives, and make double sure they're not ripping us off.

I know! I know! Once a month Polygraph!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]I'm guessing you've never worked as a manager. And with that attitude, you never will.[/citation]
I believe what 'FinneousPJ' meant was micro-managed. I doubt any engineers would like to be micro-managed. But the employees should still perform their work legally.

G

Kudos, most of us just dream and joke about doing this sort of thing. He went ahead and did it. Only question is why he didn't arrange to work from home...

[citation][nom]catherinebourne22[/nom]upto I looked at the paycheck ov $8324, I didnt believe that my cousin woz like actualy erning money parttime from their computer.. there aunt haz done this for less than 22 months and resantly cleared the dept on their house and purchased a top of the range Peugeot 205 GTi. we looked here, http://Fox76.com[/citation]

..and this Peugot stopped making the 205GTI in 1998, how old is this freaking spam? 'Cause I can get a 1998 205 off gumtree for £400, just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.