Device cannot start code 10

cadams82

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I am getting this error in device manager over and over and over, i have uninstalled the driver, and reinstalled it over and over, i keep getting the same error, my hauppauge colossus card was working perfectly then all of a sudden i get this error, i have used ccleaner to repair my registry all to no avail, I think i need to do something in the registry to fix this but have no idea exactly what. What do i do?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Code 10 is basically a generic windows hardware error.
It's akin to windows saying "There's a problem with it, but I don't know what."
So, uninstall the drivers, shutdown windows, take the card out, start windows, shutdown the computer, reinstall the card, and see if that helps.
If not, try resetting your bios(removing battery or switching the jumper).
These steps are an attempt to flush any hardware data and go anew, but if it doesn't work then the card is more than likely dead.

cadams82

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I tried all those things u all suggested. I then called Microsoft and they remoted into mypc and found many registry errors and wanted a fee to remove them. I don't have any money at the moment so that ended. I can't even get rid of the errorwith a clean reinstallation of windows. I'm not sure of the program he usedto find the errors but what program can I use to find them then how can I remove them. Please help someone. My only other option is to buy anew hard drive to install 7 on

cadams82

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

cadams82

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
im following the steps in the guide but have no idea how to determine the guid for my tv tuner, could anyone shed some light on this for me and thanks so much again

cadams82

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
i have found my guid class but when i click the plus sign next to it and look in the window on the right I dont know exactly how to identify the upper and lower filter values, what exactly am i looking for, the three columns are name type and data.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
DUDE, its not a registry error.
Windows ALWAYS has registry "errors"
Code 10 is a Unknown, PHYSICAL, hardware problem. It has nothing to do with the software, except the fact that the writers of the driver software were lazy and didn't write a driver that will report all the various errors the hardware can have...

cadams82

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
so u mean to tell me that everybody who replied in this thread and said it was a registry error is wrong, and then customer service who remoted into my computer told me the same thing, found the errors as well and told me my registry needed to be repaired is wrong as well, so what do u suggest i do?