[SOLVED] Device changed, cpu or memory!!

Dec 13, 2018
Cpu- ryzen 7 2700x
MB- B450 tomahawk max
PSU- Corsair 500vwatts white
RAM- Hyperx fury 8 gb 3200mhz

This built is 1 year old, and turned on XMP to 3200mhz for RAM just a few months ago.
Today morning when i tried to open the pc it showed, device changed cpu or memory cleared cmos press f1 to load default values.........
When the pc turned on task manager showed the ram speed is 2400mhz...... What's the reason behind it?

Solution
Your memory controller inside the cpu has a certain range of frequencies it can use, based on the native 2400MHz or below. DDR4 base speed is 2133MHz, but your ram has jedec tables upto 3200MHz. So the native speed of the MC is chosen. And you get 2400MHz when you clear cmos or reset the bios.

Anything above 2400MHz is considered an OC by the MC, and OC value of anything is not default as there's no guarantee of stability.

Meaning that after Any reset of bios or cmos to default values, you'll need to re-enable XMP, Unless you have a stored user profile and set default value to load that profile on boot, which over-rides/replaces the existing bios settings on reboot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your memory controller inside the cpu has a certain range of frequencies it can use, based on the native 2400MHz or below. DDR4 base speed is 2133MHz, but your ram has jedec tables upto 3200MHz. So the native speed of the MC is chosen. And you get 2400MHz when you clear cmos or reset the bios.

Anything above 2400MHz is considered an OC by the MC, and OC value of anything is not default as there's no guarantee of stability.

Meaning that after Any reset of bios or cmos to default values, you'll need to re-enable XMP, Unless you have a stored user profile and set default value to load that profile on boot, which over-rides/replaces the existing bios settings on reboot.

Reactions: tridibeshdashingggg
Solution
Dec 13, 2018

I didn't change any settings since i saw this error.......today morning this screen came up again at the start. Is it the RAM that got damaged somehow? Or something else is going on. Here is another thing to mention, before all this happened i noticed cpu fan was spinning unusually, i tried to say sometimes it was spinning way too fast and then it was slowing down (judging by the fan sound). And the unusual fan spin is gone now.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I didn't change any settings since i saw this error.......today morning this screen came up again at the start. Is it the RAM that got damaged somehow? Or something else is going on. Here is another thing to mention, before all this happened i noticed cpu fan was spinning unusually, i tried to say sometimes it was spinning way too fast and then it was slowing down (judging by the fan sound). And the unusual fan spin is gone now.
The ram is not damaged, no. The system just got way too hot using XMP and automatically turned it off. You could turn it back on.

Dec 13, 2018
The ram is not damaged, no. The system just got way too hot using XMP and automatically turned it off. You could turn it back on.
Negative, even if i set the xmp profile 1 (2933mhz) and starting the pc after 3-4 hours cmos got cleared again with same pre boot screen. I was running the pc with the xmp profile 2 (3200mhz) for more than 2,3 months this is the first time I'm seeing this.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Negative, even if i set the xmp profile 1 (2933mhz) and starting the pc after 3-4 hours cmos got cleared again with same pre boot screen. I was running the pc with the xmp profile 2 (3200mhz) for more than 2,3 months this is the first time I'm seeing this.

so maybe the Pc is in a warmer room than before? Maybe not getting as good ventilation? Idk. But if it runs perfectly with XMP disabled then just leave it disabled.

if you want to run with XMP enabled you will need to improve cooling and / or PSU.

Dec 13, 2018

This is only happening when I'm shutting down the pc and disconnecting power cable from socket. But if i just shut down the pc without off the wall plugpoint and then start my pc there is no such screen even when the XMP profile set to 3200mhz.
Extremely sorry for this late response.....i was doozed off a bit 🙁

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like the cmos battery is going bunk. When a pc is plugged in, it's actually on, the psu still supplies power to USB, cmos and other 'timer' items like mouse and keyboard. Only the OS is off. When you unplug, there's a few seconds of power still left in the caps, but once that goes, that's when the cmos battery takes over. If the battery is dead(ish) you'll loose all settings and bios will recognise that system settings have changed since the clock/date stamps are different.