[SOLVED] Device does not have Bluetooth

Psyblade

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2015
Bluetooth stopped working yesterday on my desktop PC. It had been working fine prior to that except for one incident in the past. I have a Dell 8930. The warranty expired 2 weeks ago. Basically, the PC does not recognize the Bluetooth device. I have run troubleshooter on Bluetooth and get the response, “Device does not have Bluetooth.” Bluetooth also does not show up when I click on the ^ for system tray icons.

This happened once in the past, maybe about 6 months ago. At that time, I was told (not sure if it was by Dell or by the retailer where I bought the PC) to turn off the PC, turn it back on and tap the F2 key until I got to the Dell auto setup utility. Then hit the F2 key or “reset defaults”. That worked great then, but it did not work when I tried it this time. (Once in the utility, hitting the F2 key seemed to do nothing and the option to “load defaults” did not fix the Bluetooth problem.)

In Services, Bluetooth Support Service is “Running”. I changed it from manual to automatic.

In Settings, Bluetooth & other devices, there is no on/off slider and “Bluetooth is turned off” is the comment for the few enabled devices listed (I use the PC manly for my Fitbit Charge 3). The only option is to remove the device. I have not tried that yet.

In Device Manager, normal view, Bluetooth is not listed separately. If I select show hidden devices, Bluetooth is there, but all the items listed under it seem grayed out, and none of them are a Bluetooth adapter. There is also now a grayed-out Bluetooth device listed under Network Adapters, and a couple grayed out items under Other Devices. None are listed as Bluetooth adapters. I have clicked on Update Driver for all the listed sub items. I still get “Device does not have Bluetooth”.

I have downloaded the Bluetooth driver for this PC from Dell.

In CMD I have run sfc /scannow, DISM /online /clean-upImage /scanhealth and Restorehealth with no problems found or "restore completed successfully".

Windows has been updated.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be and what I might be able to do to “fix it”?

Last edited:
Solution
I found this solution on the Dell forum website and it worked for me. Someone else had the same problem at the same time, apparently due to a bios update around 36/37 March 2020.

I shutdown the XPS 8930, unplugged the power cord for a few minutes, then powered it back on. I then went to Device Manager and uninstalled the Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). When I then did a Scan for Hardware Changes, the Bluetooth appeared in Device Manager. This resolved the issue.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-...isappeared/m-p/7526376/highlight/false#M47214

Psyblade

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2015
I found this solution on the Dell forum website and it worked for me. Someone else had the same problem at the same time, apparently due to a bios update around 36/37 March 2020.

I shutdown the XPS 8930, unplugged the power cord for a few minutes, then powered it back on. I then went to Device Manager and uninstalled the Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). When I then did a Scan for Hardware Changes, the Bluetooth appeared in Device Manager. This resolved the issue.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-...isappeared/m-p/7526376/highlight/false#M47214

Solution
Apr 8, 2020

what it did to me was, it will show bluetooth is on, when you try to pair it shows please make sure bluetooth is on. you turn it off it shows bluetooth is off please turn it on. Luckly i was changed laptops during that time.

Glad you got yourself sorted.