[SOLVED] Device Manager - Display Adapter, shows both my GPU (3060ti) and Microsoft Basic Adapter.

Dec 14, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400G
GPU: MSI 3060ti (Recently installed coming form a 1660S)

So after installing my new GPU. The Device Manager - Display Adapter is showing both the Radeon Software and 3060ti, I then uninstalled the Radeon Software, and it now shows both the Microsoft Basic Adapter and the new GPU.

Should I disable or uninstall the Microsoft Basic Adapter?

When I was using my 1660, Device Manager - Display Adapter only shows the 1660S.

Also when Benchmarking with the Division 2, it also shows both the (3060ti) and Microsoft Basic Adapter, I can confirm that when I was using my 1660S, Division benchmark only shows the 1660S.

What can I do here I think it only needs to show my GPU right?

Solution
If you want but if your GPU dies and you need to use integrated, even for troubleshooting, then you will need to reset/clear your bios to re-enable it. Clearing your CMOS will invalidate an NVME boot if you have one. It wipes the driver stored in the bios.

popatim

Titan
When you swapped out the 1660 the motherbd couldn't find it and did a scan and found the one built into the CPU. That is what the MS Basic Adapter is displaying. You can disable it in the Bios If you want. I wouldn't, just set the GPU to Initialize first to PCIE, Add-in card, or PEG (what it's called changes with the vendor/bios version) in the BIOS .

This way if you are having a graphical issue and you aren't sure its the monitor or the GPU you can just plug the monitor into the integrated GPU (iGPU) and if the graphic issue is gone then it's the GPU.

Dec 14, 2020
When you swapped out the 1660 the motherbd couldn't find it and did a scan and found the one built into the CPU. That is what the MS Basic Adapter is displaying. You can disable it in the Bios If you want. I wouldn't, just set the GPU to Initialize first to PCIE, Add-in card, or PEG (what it's called changes with the vendor/bios version) in the BIOS .

This way if you are having a graphical issue and you aren't sure its the monitor or the GPU you can just plug the monitor into the integrated GPU (iGPU) and if the graphic issue is gone then it's the GPU.

Thanks so I'll just leave the Microsoft Basic Adapter in device manager then? But how will I make sure that my PC is using the GPU for games and preferably for everything?

Some of my friends only have the their GPU shown in device manager-display adapter and no microsoft basic adapter.

popatim

Titan
If you want but if your GPU dies and you need to use integrated, even for troubleshooting, then you will need to reset/clear your bios to re-enable it. Clearing your CMOS will invalidate an NVME boot if you have one. It wipes the driver stored in the bios.

Solution