[SOLVED] Devices that can connect multiple external drives to network ?

videogamingtown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I do a lot of editing and have multiple external powered hard drives for storage . Recently had to move my PC to another room for work but i don't have enough power sockets for the external drives in the new room. Is there a device that would allow me to plug in multiple drives from their original location and have them available as network drives ?

Solution
but i don't have enough power sockets for the external drives in the new room

A power bar would probably be your simplest solution.

Is there a device that would allow me to plug in multiple drives from their original location and have them available as network drives ?

To continue using a multitude of external HDDs, you'd need a host device.
Any system that can communicate with the external HDDs and the network should be workable.
Laptop, Desktop etc. I'm assuming they're all USB connected? So you'd need a system with an appropriate number of USB ports and an ethernet port.

Realistically though, now might be the time to consider upgrading your storage solution.
A NAS could be an all-in-one solution here.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
but i don't have enough power sockets for the external drives in the new room

A power bar would probably be your simplest solution.

Is there a device that would allow me to plug in multiple drives from their original location and have them available as network drives ?

To continue using a multitude of external HDDs, you'd need a host device.
Any system that can communicate with the external HDDs and the network should be workable.
Laptop, Desktop etc. I'm assuming they're all USB connected? So you'd need a system with an appropriate number of USB ports and an ethernet port.

Realistically though, now might be the time to consider upgrading your storage solution.
A NAS could be an all-in-one solution here.

Reactions: videogamingtown
Solution
The best thing for something like this is another computer that can share the drives via the network, but it still won't be faster than 100MB/sec so if you're doing video editing you may notice the speed difference.

Or a nas unit with a usb 3.0 port as these can share external drives really well. It's how we plan to connect all our external drives.

Reactions: videogamingtown

USAFRet

Titan
Or a nas unit with a usb 3.0 port as these can share external drives really well. It's how we plan to connect all our external drives.
Exactly as my TS-453a does.

4 drives internal, and a 4bay TR-004, and 4 bay MediaSonic...attached via USB.
12 drives, ~51TB available space.

The TR-004, also being QNAP, works natively with the QNAP OS.