devices to stream audio to remote 'PC speakers'

808dude

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I'm looking to replace obsolete/limited Creative X-fi setups that worked well for a long time to wirelessly stream music to non-portable PC speakers around the house (each with two satellites and a subwoofer). The Creative system had its own transmitter/receiver system - ten-plus years old - and worked well for a long time, but now I'd like to feed/control different speakers independently, which is beyond the capacity of this old system.

I'm thinking this should be easy via WIFI - but 99% of the time I want my source to be *Pandora via my desktop PC* - rarely if ever would my music be coming from a smartphone app. Might a device like this one work? Seems like it's got to stream from a smartphone... https://www.amazon.com/ANEWISH-Wireless-Receiver-Airplay-Adapter/dp/B01N5FOVAJ/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1530990282&sr=8-28&keywords=wifi+audio+receiver

What hardware options exist? What are they.../called?/

I prefer WIFI to Bluetooth for range. No battery-powered devices need apply.

Thanks - Dave

808dude

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
As OP, I didn't get any input on this, but I can say from immense personal experience & frustration that if you're trying to do what I was, and tempted to buy Audiocast 'pucks' (Amazon, say), then you should expect to spend hours attempting to set them up - in my case, without reward.

They might work OK if you run your whole music library based on your smart-phone, but that's certainly not my setting. Even so, expect Chinglish support at best, along with unpredictable connections. Their standard setup videos, though ostensibly intended for a western market, require the viewer to read mandarin.

If someone's aware of a similar product that doesn't cost multiples of these, please let me know. I could have hard-wired my remote speakers fifty times over in the time I've spent messing with the Audiocast crap.

TRENDING THREADS