DH-15 RAM clearence

Mar 1, 2018
I was wondering how high up this part is? It looks like it's halfway between 64 and 32mm but the picture doesn't seem like it accurately represents reality as the heat pipes are placed a bit differently.

All in all I need 44mm of clearence. Also the cooler is mounted horizontally if that means anything.

Solution
In this picture the heat pipe comes quite close to the memory stick. The fins are high enough for 44mm tridents https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-32gtzr
08-noctua-cooler-left-closeup.jpg

Under side of the heatsink. See how the pipes spread out.
index.php

These dimensions are side on, it doesn't include measurements for pipe work at 90° turn.
SJLzXyS.png

There's mm's in it, i'd say distance between cpu socket and memory would be the same. This picture is of the opposite side where the RGB Tridents are highest...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Which motherboard? Motherboards these days have ram order using the outer dimms for dual channel configs for this reason. If your motherboard's ram order requires inner dimms the fan can be raised to make clearance. The heat pipes wont be an issue, dimm slots aren't that close.

Mar 1, 2018
It's the Z370G from ASUS. The order is the A1-B1-A2-B2.

You sure because the RAM I'm thinking of is Trident Z RGB and I've heard a lot about those not playing nicely with that cooler.

Mar 1, 2018
Already have the cooler, I'm missing the RAM as currently I'm lending a friends. Planning on changing the cooler out for AIO at some point but that's further in the future.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How many ram sticks? 2x or 4x? B2 and A2 for dual channel, those are the outer dimms. So from cpu going to the right, 2nd and 4th slot are occupied. Thats even easier for clearance means you wont need to touch the fan if at all.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Motherboards/ASUS-Strix-Z270E-Gaming-Motherboard-Review/CPU-Cooler-Fit-and-Included-Accessor

Closest picture i can find, the board layout will be identical in dimensions where your dimm slots sit from the cpu socket. Noctua fans are the only worry, if need just move the fan up a few fins.

Can eye it off.
Z370-G

cooler-pd.jpg

Z270-E - board used in the link

1483472911805.jpg

Mar 1, 2018
Oh and AIO is mostly for asthethic reasons, might switch to a more pleasing air cooler as well though haven't yet decided a 100%. Either way temps probably won't be too bad even when OC'd.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well horizontal is the usual fan orientation facing the rear i thought and vertical facing up toward top of case if you have an exhaust fan up there.

Couldn't understand your intent in those pics, looks like in the diagram, the fans are facing toward rear of case for pull instead of push. Take another pic side on at bit of a distance, if you will, will have a better view.

Noctua fans are really quiet. Can go aio if you want of course, performance wise Noctua's are really decent.

Mar 1, 2018
7xXKpL5.jpg

Isn't that horizontal? Where the middle fan intakes/blows from top or bottom. Isn't normal placement vertical where the fan intakes/blows left or right.

Hopefully this will give some more context.

Also sorry for the blurry image, here is another slightly more close up but less blurry.

IMG_20180610_200413_1.jpg

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This is what i meant by horizontal
IMG_7948.jpg

Your case is different in it's setup compared to the usual case, first time me seeing this design actually. Your heatsink is facing vertically and with that orientation the heat pipes would be very close to the dimm slots. As is with here: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Motherboards/ASUS-Sabertooth-Z170-Mark-1-Motherboard-Review/CPU-Cooler-Fit-Included-Accessor

I understand what you mean now with the rgb memory, it is really difficult to say if you'll have room. If the cooler was facing sideways as in picture above then would have better chance of clearance. Aio would be best suited for you with this case design.

Mar 1, 2018
Yea it's a Bitfenix Phenom (same layout as the Bitfenix Prodigy) so the motherboard is upside down so to speak. Reason why I wanted the height on the heatfins in this picture because I'm pretty sure those are the lowest parts of the heatsink that will be over the RAM. The heatpipes themselves are in-fact not that far out as seen on the picture so I should be able to populate the A2 and B2 slots.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
In this picture the heat pipe comes quite close to the memory stick. The fins are high enough for 44mm tridents https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-32gtzr
08-noctua-cooler-left-closeup.jpg

Under side of the heatsink. See how the pipes spread out.
index.php

These dimensions are side on, it doesn't include measurements for pipe work at 90° turn.
SJLzXyS.png

There's mm's in it, i'd say distance between cpu socket and memory would be the same. This picture is of the opposite side where the RGB Tridents are highest. It does look like it'll just make it but im not sure what memory is used here to determine height.

07-noctua-cooler-right-closeup.jpg

Solution
Mar 1, 2018
That's Corsair Vengeance LPX it's what I've lent and what is in my machine now. Apparently it's 34mm so 10mm lower than TridentZ RGB. What do you think?

I also asked Noctua about it and got this email back:

"thank you for your inquiry at Noctua.

The distance between the contact area with the CPU and the bottom fin of the stack is ~48mm.
The distance from the PCB of the motherboard to the top of the CPU can vary between 7 and 9mm, thus please measure this distance yourself if you need to know the value exactly."

Not sure if they got the gist though as it sounds like they thought I wanted to know how far there is from the CPU/CPU lock to the lower fins instead of from the motherboard or DIMM slots to the fins.

Maybe this video might help aswell.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC8Spj2Nq-c"][/video]

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The pipe is going to be very close, a good chance it'll touch and the heat from the pipe if they do touch wont be good. You'll have more room if heatsink was turned.

With rgb memory anyway, the idea is to see them for their pretty colours. With the heatsink the way it is or even turned around will only see 1 memory stick. Sure you'll see some illumination effect around the insides at night but is that what you want?

Mar 1, 2018
Currently in the process of upgrading PC. Eventually switching out the case and cooler aswell. Switched from a R9 390 to a 1070ti recently aswell as a new CPU and motherboard because old CPU died on me so it was time for an upgrade.

But are you sure it'll hit the heatpipe? Not sure if you can see it that well but there are 2 slots between the DIMM that's already in and the cooler/CPU. It looks to me it would be able to fit in the one right besides it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yea i saw the video before, looked it over and over. Did you make it?

I do see the two empty slots but what i couldn't see properly if there was an empty dimm slot behind on the right. If there are 4 and the stick was purposely put in the 3rd slot to show clearance then yes the slot right next to it on the left has plenty of room, wont come close to the heat pipes.

Mar 1, 2018
Yea I made it. You've already seen it? Weird, the video should be unlisted.

Yea the current RAM stick is in the 3rd slot.

I'm 80% it's a DH15 but I'll ask the friend I bought it from to be sure.