Question DHCP and router have same IP

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I'm new to networking and am trying to understand the concepts. I did an "ipconfig /all" to find my DHCP address (192.168.1.1) but I also noticed my router has the same address. I know that two devices can't have the same IP but is this allowed because DHCP is software/firmware residing in the router? Thank you.

NEGATIVE, IP must be unique. U seems to have configured your DHCP wrong.

A sample DHCP config will say... use .1 to .31 for static, and Dynamic range .32 to .254 allowing 31 static IP, and 223 dynamics to lease out. U notice, NO OVERLAP.

Best practice says, static used for modem, routers, switches, printers, cameras, servers,NAS, thermostats, intelligent hub Alexas etc. Use Dynamic for all PC, laptops,Smartphone,Games consoles, TV,streaming devices. Not Godspell, but typical sample.

Reactions: RealBeast
If everything works, ya, u may just be interpreting the ipconfig output wrong.

For the typical home users the DHCP server happens to be in the same box as the WIFI router, so if u say DHCP and router same, ya, they are the same thing, for you. And if u see GATEWAY, that's not a device, is just a pointer, and by God Almighty is just happens with lots of home users the gateway is too pointing at your WIFI router (this is the door to the Internet), all normal.