DHCP Server Assigning IP Addresses Out of Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

htimst

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
I have two Asus RT-AC68U running 3.0.0.4.378_4585 (most current) firmware. One is setup in Wireless Router Mode with DHCP enabled and IP pool starting and ending addresses set in a private class C 192.x.x.2-254 range. The second router is setup in Media Bridge mode to connect non-wireless clients in another part of my house.

What has suddenly started happening, is the DHCP server is assigning addresses outside of the range that is in it's setup. The range in the setup is 1.2 to 1.254. The DHCP server is assigning 0.2 - 0.254 and nothing can connect outside the private network. The devices don't appear in the routers device list and each device has to be statically assigned an address within it's expected range from the setup to be able to connect outside the private network.

I don't have any other routers in the house or on the network. There are no other wireless networks with the SSID. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. It's new behavior.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Are all devices getting a 192.168.0.x address? Just the ones connected to the media bridge? Only those connected to the router?

It's highly unlikely that a router is going to start assigning IP addresses outside of the specified range, and a reboot would fix this in the event that it did. There must be another DHCP source in the network... possibly the media bridge has lost its correct configuration settings.

htimst

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

All devices without existing leases renew to a 192.168.0.X address. The configuration on the media bridge has been checked and to the best of it's GUI it does not have any DHCP assigning. There are only two routers on the system. The media bridge router has been disconnected entirely and the main router still assigns out of range addresses even though it's GUI settings say 192.168.2.x.

I have rebooted, turned off, reset, reconfigured, rolled back and whatever else I could think of before I called for help. I truly have no idea what's going on.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

"All devices without existing leases renew to a 192.168.0.X address." Not sure what you mean by this. Can you clarify? In order for a device to renew, it has to have an existing address.

Since you have two identical routers, an easy test would be to swap them.

If you still have the problem, you might want to consider reverting back to a previous firmware version.

htimst

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
I took each router and connected one computer to a LAN port and nothing to the WAN. Both routers, when their DHCP server is configured to give out 192.168.2.2-200, will give out 192.168.0.x addresses to both wired and wireless clients. All IP addresses have to be assigned statically. I've thrown my hands in the air. I have no solution to this.

wizeson

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

I started having this issue today. Did you ever find a solution?

wizeson

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

GeorgeMD

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I have an asus RT-AC87U and having the same problem. My DHCP server is set to assign IP addresses between 192.168.1.4 and .254 and its assigning 192.168.0.x IP addresses to my devices. My devices aren't able to connect to the internet when this happens. If I force a manual Static IP address within the range, then they work. So I've been able to fix all my devices where I don't need network access to them, to set the IP. But for my NAS, I can't get it to work because it needs to be on the network to be able to access the set up page and since its probably getting assigned this out of range IP its not ending up on the network.

No other routers or DHCP servers on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.