Diablo 3 Closed Beta Hands-On: Part 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]Constant Internet Connection = prevent hacking. Thats the only reason why Blizzard wants fulltime internet connection. Of course there will be pirate servers, but this way the majority will buy the game. The game can be patched like wow, during game play or before starting the game.[/citation]
Sorry, I am not buying that as the excuse for the online requirement.

They said last week when they talked about how they would reduce lag because the client does the calculations for gameplay (something that can only work on single player, not multiplayer) shows that indeed the local client does indeed have the information to support an offline single player mode.

I know people claim "We don't want duped items on the RMAH" but that claim is easily fixed in that online play items which would be allowed on the RMAH would have a seperate tag within the code that the offline drops would not have thus making it just as difficult to put hacked/duped items on the RMAH as it will be under this system.

As for the trainer issue, who cares. If someone buys the game and wishes to use a trainer for single player, offline play, it does not affect anyone else. I don't understand the appeal of trainers but I know they existed for D1 and D2, but they don't affect anyone else's gameplay.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Theonlydz[/nom]you're right.. and they didn't do this to prevent pirating, I'm sure diablo III will get hacked too somehow... They did it to prevent cheaters.. so you can't enable hacks in offline mode, duplicate items etc, then log in to the online world... remember people it has a REAL CASH Auction house.... you can't have people DUPING items and selling them for real-money.[/citation]
Which is easily preventable by making a tag on online drops within the code for the item which an offline single player item won't have. Without the tag, no item could be placed on the RMAH. That solution would make it just as secure as the current one.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]linford585[/nom]You can't "crack" Diablo 3. The files needed to play it aren't stored locally. You'd have to emulate a server on your computer (create your own private server, like with WoW), and then connect to it.This wont completely completely stop piracy, but it will stop the vast majority of it.[/citation]
Except they stated last week that in order to get around lag, the client will be handling the combat and calculations and such and just send that informtation on to the server for a check to make sure everything it legit. That means that indeed, the information IS on the client side, not just on the server.

Of course this won't work with multiplayer because 2-8 people's individuals clients working independently from the server would come up with different results, but that still shows the info is going to be local.

Sashmo99

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Which is easily preventable by making a tag on online drops within the code for the item which an offline single player item won't have. Without the tag, no item could be placed on the RMAH. That solution would make it just as secure as the current one.[/citation]

I'm not a programmer, but this is not a secure solution. If it's as simple as a tag, you run the risk of hackers figuring out the tagging algorithm. Which would be simple seeing as the local host would have to send that information to the server.

Once that algorithm is outed, you have no way to 1) distinguish between real and fake, and 2) mitigate the situation. The game would in effect become entirely "open battle.net" from D2 days - there would be no legit option of gameplay. It would be ruined for everyone, and completely FUBAR.

Guys - the really really smart people at Blizzard played out every scenario, calculated every risk and made the best ultimate decision. If you can't live with it, you have the right not too!

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]Sashmo99[/nom]I'm not a programmer, but this is not a secure solution. If it's as simple as a tag, you run the risk of hackers figuring out the tagging algorithm. Which would be simple seeing as the local host would have to send that information to the server.Once that algorithm is outed, you have no way to 1) distinguish between real and fake, and 2) mitigate the situation. The game would in effect become entirely "open battle.net" from D2 days - there would be no legit option of gameplay. It would be ruined for everyone, and completely FUBAR.Guys - the really really smart people at Blizzard played out every scenario, calculated every risk and made the best ultimate decision. If you can't live with it, you have the right not too![/citation]

WORD!!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I completely agree that if you want to play a character that has the option of going online at some point, then you have to always be connected. But if you want to play solely single player, knowing that you will never be able to use that character online, then you shouldn't need to be connected. Just give users 2 options when starting a single player game:

1) Start a new single player game, but allow my character the option to play online in the future (requires constant internet connection).
2) Start a new single player game. This character will never be able to play online (no internet connection required).

G

I don't think anyone on this comment thread had ever really* played Diablo II before... lets recap:

Diablo II: Single/LAN and Battle.net. You could never play a Battle.net character offline back in 1999...why are people complaining about it now?

Single player was ok, as long as you were cool with not being able to craft top end gear, or have access to 'Ladder Only' gear.

Hacking in Diablo II consisted of packet sniffing and header rewriting, among other exploits. Blizzard combated it then...perfected their approaches it and through the lessons learned, evolved their techniques and tools (Warden) into their other games since. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing now when it comes to hacking today as they did over a decade ago. They used to ban 100,000 keys a month at its peak...only to sell 100k more keys the next day after banning. They know whats going on...

I fail to understand the point on such comments as 'Blizzard isn't getting my money for Diablo III' based on the fact that you cannot play offline, or its client/server implementation is 'not secure'; they've been rolling these approaches to their games FOR OVER A DECADE. And they are quite functional to say the least. Unfortunately it is going to be the people that complain that miss out on what looks to be a great continuation of one the best game franchises in existence.

I think some people have been living under a rock, or are too young to have experienced Diablo II or even the 1st Diablo.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]What's going to happen if I use a crack to play the game offline, considering I bought the game?[/citation]

You'll probably get a virus. Remember that nothing is free (for those that plan on just purely playing a cracked version).

G

I can't find anything on whether the ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4250 card will be supported in the final release. There are lists of supported and unsupported video cards out there, but that card is not on it anywhere.

This post leads me to believe that it will be supported (if it runs in the beta it can't really run any worse in the final release - barring some serious restructuring of their engine).

I know it won't run beautifully but my laptop has this shit card in it and I don't want to get a whole new computer just for D3. Does anyone have any information on this?

G

So, in your opinion, did your 4250 graphics card run it okay? what settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.