Diablo 3 Starter Edition Confirmed, Limited at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
"matchmaking only with other Starter Edition players"
No... I already pre-ordered my game, and I plan on having my brother running the starter edition. No able to play with him will suck...

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I rather only be able to play with the person who gave me the starter key then strangers...

but its free, how many games over that... in the console world next to zero

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]I rather only be able to play with the person who gave me the starter key then strangers... but its free, how many games over that... in the console world next to zero[/citation]

Not so long ago, most of the games had demos on PC with some limitations (level, or play time, or no save, whatever).

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
The ability to download ahead of time, install and patch a day before is REALLY SMART. I wish more companies did this. Steam's pre-loading is about as good as you can get to competing with this idea. The last thing I want to do tomorrow after work is sit around waiting to download a patch from a server serving up 5+ million copies of the same game/files (since I live in the CST part of the country, it doesn't become unlocked until 12:00am PDT, or 2:00am here, so no playing tonight).

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]I rather only be able to play with the person who gave me the starter key then strangers... but its free, how many games over that... in the console world next to zero[/citation]
Consoles offer demos much like PCs nowadays. In Castle Crashers on Xbox, for example, you can play the first level over and over for as long as you want for free. Of course, it gets boring quickly, and it will be the same for D3 Starter Edition.

G

Killing the skeleton king is NOT act 1, its only the first 1/3rd of Act 1.

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
This is lame... I thought this would be something so that those of us who ordered limited editions will be able to play until our game arrives, at which point we can simply insert our game key.

LAME blizzard, LAME!

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Probably one of the smartest decisions Blizzard could have made to demo their game to potential buyers. This exact segment in the beta convinced me to play by itself, and each time I defeated the boss with a different character I just wanted more. Smart to stem the tide of login attempts at launch by limiting the trial to guest passes at first too. I've liked just about every decision they've made with this game.

smitty10

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]This is lame... I thought this would be something so that those of us who ordered limited editions will be able to play until our game arrives, at which point we can simply insert our game key.LAME blizzard, LAME![/citation]

This is exactly what was hoping to do :(

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Blizzard is a lame company. All of the good creative and game-loving devs have left Blizzard long time ago. Let them die in peace please.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]The ability to download ahead of time, install and patch a day before is REALLY SMART. I wish more companies did this. Steam's pre-loading is about as good as you can get to competing with this idea. The last thing I want to do tomorrow after work is sit around waiting to download a patch from a server serving up 5+ million copies of the same game/files (since I live in the CST part of the country, it doesn't become unlocked until 12:00am PDT, or 2:00am here, so no playing tonight).[/citation]

kingdom of amalure, i know i spelled that wrong, but the game was cracked and pirated 3 days before launch because of pre loading.

diablo 3 cant do this because most of the core game play is server side and you cant play without that information.

steam gives you most of the game, than on launch a small bit more and you are good to go. realisticly that is the best we will ever get.

[citation][nom]Smeg45[/nom]How long till SKIDROW/RELOADED/FLT/RAZOR1911 cracks this? I bet within three days. How long till P2P cracks this? Within a day. *YAWN*[/citation]

its not just a simple crack to get this game to work, you need to get all the server end opperations too, which if mmos and other games of the like are anything to go by, can take months to obtain.

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Kind of shitty that they would exclude those who purchased directly just the digital copy. We save them money by not getting physical media and they screw us. Thanks Blizzard!

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]asdfklj2kljkljslkj[/nom]Killing the skeleton king is NOT act 1, its only the first 1/3rd of Act 1.[/citation]

True and it only takes about 30 minutes. The Beta got really old really quick. There isn't much exciting about the first 13 levels of your character.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Smeg45[/nom]Pfft, emulation or not, it won't take months to crack. No game takes that long emulation or no. Once its out the race is on.[/citation]

yea, look at how long it took everquest, wow, phantacy star online (to a lesser extent), ragnarok online, ultima online, to get a private server... THAT is what you are up against.

blizzard IS NOT giveing you the full game, they let the graphics be done on your computer, but most everything else is done on their end, and it will take a crap ton of time to get that code.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]already cracked.[/citation]

no, i dont believe that its cracked, that is just the game, ripping the game and uploading it is the obvious, however still not cracked. at least from what i can tell.

Doomsy2006

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Looks like those that BETA Tested in the closed Beta received the STARTER Edition for free at launch. I am one of those people that received it. I think it is nice for those that don't have the current money to purchase the game now but would like to at least start some of their character profiles. Once they purchase the game they can continue from the point they could not continue pass from the STARTER EDITION limit. I for one am also in that boat so I am glad I get to at least start my character classes and purchase the full game later allowing me to to at least "GET STARTED." For those that beta tested check your BATTLE.NET account and see if the Diablo III Starter Edition is available to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.