Diablo III Performance, Benchmarked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Flying-Q[/nom]...In general I think this is a good thing with only a tinge of disappointment that there could have been more, especially in the skill choice complexity.Q[/citation]
You should take another look at the skill trees and the rune system. You are going to have a ridiculous amount of customization when it comes to skills compared to D2, and you won't even have to start a new character to try a new set.

Gich

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I saw the numbers and I was asking because to me it's odd that CF/SLI can do more than double fps.

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
hmm, so how about a HD4200 when referring to low-end systems? The only low-end I see here are low-end gamer machines that are considered low-end only because of their age.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Its the sheep that they are aiming for . High settings just means low settings on other games. They should have made an EXTREME settings mode for the rest of us that have a real computer . I mean its 2012 everyone should be able to afford a 7770 or go for an old 5770 wich is basicaly the same performance and could be bought for 80 bucks.

jeber99

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
The benchmark article should state that it is benchmarking the diablo 3 beta...this is a little bit off if people expect this as an indication of the full game that isn't due out till next week. This is not a final indication of what the full game will look like and benchmark, since the full game will have more and higher graphics settings available than the beta.

Looking forward to playing d3!

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]HD7870 is on par with GTX580! Now I understand why he didn't even take HD7970 into test. That would have been too embarrassing for nvidia.[/citation]

The 7870 has always been on par with the 580, Cynergy. Is this new to you?

I didn't bother with the 7970 or 680 because the framerates were already astronomical.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]Its the sheep that they are aiming for . High settings just means low settings on other games. They should have made an EXTREME settings mode for the rest of us that have a real computer . I mean its 2012 everyone should be able to afford a 7770 or go for an old 5770 wich is basicaly the same performance and could be bought for 80 bucks.[/citation]

Yet, you will buy this game and become a "sheep" like the rest of us. ;)

Maybe your super rig can flex its epeen in 2022 when they release Diablo IV.

G

Worthless review, how can this even be posted on a site like tomshardware :S?
He bascially just benchmarked how it is to run around in town, with no mobs for 40 sec. Should have tried out the Jar of soul quest with tons of skeleton mobs on the screen and turn on show item labels on the ground and mob health bars, you would've notice your FPS run under 20 even if you have a GTX 680 and 2500K.

This was just a time waster..

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]I mean its 2012 everyone should be able to afford a 7770 or go for an old 5770 wich is basicaly the same performance and could be bought for 80 bucks.[/citation]

Not everyone can even afford to pay the bills. Why should everyone be able to afford a decent video card?

impulse89

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
and zooming in is not an option.

You actually CAN zoom in, but it is a toggle, not a dial-able zoom.
It's definitely not useful for actual gameplay, but it is cool if you want to look at some little artifact or area.

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I've been slowly upgrading my desktop over the last 6 months to get ready for this game (it was originally built 6 years ago). The only thing not upgraded when I got my D3 invite was my video card. I had a 4850, which actually did run the game ok at lowest settings (1680x1050, lower than my standard full hd res), though there was the occasional stutter. That gave me all I needed to go get the new HD 7850 (2gb), which chews through it at a max settings without any issues at 1920x1080. I can safely say I'm good to go with my pre-purchased and already downloaded D3!

I will say that the beta did start to get a bit boring after doing the first act about 20 times, lol. I'm also quite excited to try out Torchlight 2 on my setup with eyefinity support (I have 3 24" lcds). I really wish D3 would support eyefinity.

zyzeast

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
This article is useless unless you are testing in the middle of large fight, the pillar event before the skeleton king will bring any system with a low end CPU to its knees (and there are a lot of fights like that in game). Running around the starting town doesn't give you an accurate evaluation of what's needed to play the game smoothly.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]I still use a 9600GT, anyone have any idea how it would work with that?[/citation]

I would say that card closest compares to a 6670 but I'd ballpark 20%ish slower.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]I would say that card closest compares to a 6670 but I'd ballpark 20%ish slower.[/citation]

The 9600 GT is probably a little faster than the 6670 we benchmarked for this article, because we used the DDR3 version of the Radeon.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]As the game is not very demanding.... how does this run on Intel HD 2k/3k/4k graphics?[/citation]

Great idea, I would love to know if my intel integrated gpu(HD 3k) is capable of running d3.
I will play on desktop at home, but when I'm at my friend's place, I like to run the game on my laptop for a "lan party".

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Seems like an opportunity was overlooked to benchmark how the game runs on Intel's HD4000 integrated graphics, as well as AMD' APUs. A lot of people are going to want to be running this game on their laptops.

G

@ caedenv

As the game is not very demanding.... how does this run on Intel HD 2k/3k/4k graphics?

I found it very playable at low settings on my i5 2500k at 4.0ghz and the hd3000 oc to 1600 using 480mb of ram. It was usually around 25-30fps and wouldn't change much even if i did enable the "higher" settings like AA or high physics. There was however times when I could feel the slowness like when moving items around in the inventory for some reason, otherwise the gameplay felt pretty smooth which has made me wonder if I really should by a GPU lol!

kelemvor33

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Doesn't look like you tested any laptops did ya? That'd be something great to add since most people I know just have one PC for everything these days...

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yeah it'd be really nice to have an idea as to what mobile hardware you'd need.
Would a notebook i3 with 4gb ram be enough for Low Settings at, say, 720p or 900p?

Status
Not open for further replies.