[SOLVED] Diamond shapes all over screen RX470

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Randomly getting diamond shapes all over the screen in a consistent pattern. Also happens pretty consistent when trying to game. Guessing the video card has failed. Any suggestions? (Tried to attach an image but that it won't work)

Solution
Randomly getting diamond shapes all over the screen in a consistent pattern. Also happens pretty consistent when trying to game. Guessing the video card has failed. Any suggestions? (Tried to attach an image but that it won't work)
Its artifacting, a hardware issue, it usually happens when your gpu is too hot. But dont worry you can fix it, you can try and use the baking method. The baking method is a method that you cook your gpu, now you may think im crazy but it has worked for multiple people including me and this method has been around for years. So how it works is very interesting. Often gpus fail because of high temperatures due to loosening solder joint, and to reconnect that solder joint youll need something that will...

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Its artifacting, a hardware issue, it usually happens when your gpu is too hot. But dont worry you can fix it, you can try and use the baking method. The baking method is a method that you cook your gpu, now you may think im crazy but it has worked for multiple people including me and this method has been around for years. So how it works is very interesting. Often gpus fail because of high temperatures due to loosening solder joint, and to reconnect that solder joint youll need something that will make it hot to melt that solder for that solder joint to connect it again and an oven or a heat gun would be the solution to make it hot.
Heres some links that would help you out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyMIVc54rO0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xanr4jkmEc&t=508s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSZ7X2vQO_k&t=207s

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yes, note that once you bake your GPU and it doesn't work, it may not work at all. It's a longshot, last resort thing.

You cannot attach images here. You need to use an image sharing site like imgur or postimage and share the URL here.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Just an FYI, your chance to fix via the 'baking method' is probably under 20%.

...and you can easily make the card COMPLETELY inoperable.
Yes, note that once you bake your GPU and it doesn't work, it may not work at all. It's a longshot, last resort thing.

You cannot attach images here. You need to use an image sharing site like imgur or postimage and share the URL here.
I dont know about you guys but 2/3 of my dead gpus has been working using the baking method.
My gtx 780 before (artifacting)
242496892_886901935571006_9113117239051219260_n.png

My gtx 780 after the oven method works and i was able to play games with it and bench mark it, sadly i later sold it.
208547414_619453512366257_1230194076986617105_n.png

The second gpu is the gpu im currently using right now
My gtx 1050 before
215542207_580744366277751_4049444301682265068_n.jpg

My gtx 1050 after that i heat gun it, and it works perfectly and im currently using this while writing this, i also was able to play fortnite as well.
213143937_3010112179266546_2330983873230352066_n.jpg

The last gpu was the gtx 650ti it did work for a while after i heat gun it and then it died after a month because of the mosfets.

But yeah i guess it was just luck.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yes, it sometimes works, but very frequently does not and can make a problem worse. As of right now, the OP is apparently still able to use their GPU for non-gaming purposes and as such, the OP needs all the information to be able to weight the risks and benefits of any particular procedure.

What if, in addition to gaming, they do work from home on this PC as well -- as many more people are doing these days -- and baking the GPU results in the GPU not working at all, which is a frequent result? Are you going to purchase the OP a new GPU so that they can get their work done?

There are a million scenarios like this. Do not trumpet something with risk involved as The Solution unless you have presented all the risks of a situation.