DICE Talks Battlefield 3 Console/PC Differences

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]consoles can't do anything beyond DX9 graphics.Guess we will have to wait and see.[/citation]

Not necessarily. There are some features in DX10 that can be handled by DX9-class hardware. Microsoft drew the line with DX9 because they wanted to force PC gamers to buy Vista. As for the console, I think the XBox 360 API is more powerful than Direct3D on DX9c- developers are stuck with fixed hardware, so MS probably wanted them to have as much at their disposal as the console can handle.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
The reality is that console gamers will not notice the difference. All they care about is plug and play and a "new" experience. So dumbing it down on the console will still sell and make them the majority of the money. Be thankful that they are working on making the PC version great.

LOL @ 24 players or vehicles... We get 64 and vehicles...

Honestly. Its all about ignorance. Console gamers generally don't give a damn about graphics. They don't know any different. Once the PS4 comes out, and 5 years later, same argument and probably a larger gap in tech.

The PC industry will always exist, and so will consoles. Its up to the studios to push both of them to the limits. Vote with your wallets.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
You know I am no way trying to say the person who is saying their cousin or brother or whatever family relation played the alpha is telling the truth. However it isn't entirely impossible, remember the games release date was pushed back not due to development issues but just to match MW3's release date. I can't recall the original release date expected but its now in October and with beta starting in September. Surely they are up to a alpha version at this point with the beta coming so soon and the release date just a month after that.

Again I am in no way saying the previous poster is telling the truth just that it is no doubt in the alpha stage by now.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]You mean make games for Amiga when they were Digital Illusions making Pinball Fantasy ect!?[/citation]

There has YET to be a PC pinball game as good as their Amiga Pinball games... :( What so hard about making them for today?

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Man, thats awesome.

I'm an adult gamer too and got more money to throw around when it comes to building my rig. Of course I want to see that investment become worthwhile with games that actually utilize the power. But then our younger brethren simply can't afford the same. Dev's just need to keep all happy with games that scale. I am looking forward to seeing if BF3 accomplishes this. I will be sorely dissapointed if the console versions does look comparable to the same running on a high-end pc and I'm sure ATI and Nvidia will be too (running out of reasons to keep upgrading).

sony1978ak

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I think PS3 ca handle 64 player, if dice get Naughty Dog,to help them :)
PS3 has MAG which is 256 player, also PS3 did better then DX9, have you played Uncharted???

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Computers weren't supposed to go the dead way ?? At least there are companies that think like me and make better gaming for full-fledge computers. ^^

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]......i cant even call you gamers when you care more about graphics than gameplay, and the way they were b****ing makes it seam as though the game doesn't matter. i knew i would be down voted for that one but that was more or less venting at those... lets say morons.[/citation]

Dude relax... :)

BTW, i forgot to point out, this IS indeed very old news, Nvidia had released this 64 player info when they launched the 560 Ti or 550 Ti...same interview thingy...
Check out this interview from April:
http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/battlefield3-interview

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
64 players is plenty imho. Hell a 32 man match is enough of a cluster f.

As for gameplay I'm a bit leery about prone being let back in thanks to cod bringing back gthe dolphin divers... guess I gott start aiming for the shins again so I can get those easy headshots.

Graphics? Meh. BC2 looked great, little dissapointed about lack of fully destructable buildings, and releived otherwise (sniper tanks destroying objectives comes to mind).

What's the one thing I am really dissapointed about? Lack of a map creator! Custom maps ftmfw! But ea won't let us have that. Nope just some too small for 64 people maps and the some more in 4 months that we will have to pay $25 for...

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
i ask about a wiiu version, a console that we know will have at least a dx10 era card in it, and probably a quad core, its a valid question wondering if that will be tied to the same limits that xbox or ps3 has. -20 votes there.

BF3 is coming to the WII U. From the somewhat limited info we have on the WiiU specs (we know it’s a RV770 ATI and it has a PowerPC 45nm triple core just not the full specs of each), it is hard to gauge exactly how BF3 will look. That being said, Nintendo wants it to be close to the next gen Sony and Microsoft and the BF3 Devs have said BF3 is really a next gen system game as far as graphics so I would say it is safe to say that BF3 for the WIIU will look and be similar to the PC version. The WII U will at least play in 1080p so that is a huge step up from the Xbox 360 and PS3. I think it will get close to 64 players online. It will probably be like high level graphics on a PC (not max, just high or possibly very high) - that is of course ultimately dependent on the final system specs of course.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
people really need to learn to read. They are comparing map sizes, and game mechanics in this article not graphics qaulity. All these people are pissed the pc is gonna be like a port, well its not, ive read numerous articles and interviews and dice came out and said many times that graphics are gonna be better then any other game, and they also stated that they are designing this game for the pc first. Ive seen numerous HD videos and the game looks fantastic. Of course they are gonna try and make the game as best they can on the console to, why wouldnt they? This article was completely taken out of context. They are speaking about how the game works not graphics qaulity.. Relax...when this game comes out everyone will be lifting there jaws off the floor.

johnh2005

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I won't be buying another dumbed down console port. I am sorry but if you cannot optimize something for the PC and cut back the good stuff so that the console boys see exactly what and how their consoles are holding them back? Forget it. I won't buying your crap. I should not have the "same experience" as a console gamer. I do not play the game on a console. Why should I have the same experience?

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

It's not a console port... They already said they are building it on the pc first and that the pc is the main focus... Where does anyone say it's gonna be ported from the console?!?! Thats something I hate about forums, anyone can post anything they want, and without any proof, it spreads like wildfire, and everyone gets upset about it without any proof to back it up.

BATTLEFIELD 3 IS NOT GONNA BE A CONSOLE PORT!! They are designing the game first on the pc, it's gonna be the most advanced engine ever created for a game, and then they are porting it "From the pc, to the console", not the other way around.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20383

According to executive producer Patrick Bach, "we're focusing on PC first, and then we fiddle with it to fit it onto consoles."

http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/21792-battlefield-3-is-a-pc-title-first

More information continues to trickle out from DICE on Battlefield 3. This time it goes beyond saying that the PC version of Battlefield 3 is the primary development platform for the title and the console versions will come from the PC version. This is a much different strategy than DICE has used in the past where the PC version was simply an enhanced port of the console version of the title.

http://www.destructoid.com/dice-says-battlefield-3-on-pc-won-t-be-a-sloppy-port-186324.phtml

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/288293/battlefield-3-pc-console-ports-not-how-we-do-things-says-dice/

http://uk.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/battlefield3-interview

We spoke to Battlefield 3 Executive Producer Patrick Bach, a man who firmly believes consoles are holding PC gaming back. Like PC gaming enthusiast, he is also dismayed by the fact that many game developers merely add anti-aliasing options to the PC version of games before calling it a day. Eager to buck this trend, Bach talks about how DICE will create one of the most visually-breathtaking games you've ever seen by using the PC as Battlefield 3's lead development platform.

Yes, absolutely. That's the biggest problem we have today. Most games are actually still based on the same core idea that the consoles are your focus, the superior platform or something. I don’t know why. That was the truth 5 years ago, but the world has moved on. PCs are way more powerful than the consoles today and there are actually almost zero games out there that actually use the benefits of this. So for our target of what we want to hit, we are now using the more powerful platform to try and prove what we see gaming being in the future rather than using the lowest common denominator, instead of developing it for the consoles and then just adding higher resolution textures and anti-aliasing for the PC version. We're do it the other way around, we start with the highest-end technology that we can come up with and then scale it back to the consoles.

Hopefully this puts everyone's fears to rest. Dice and EA are finally supporting PC community, so I really wish people would stop complaining.. Every PC gamer should go out and buy this game, support it, and don't illegally download it. We need to start supporting developers who focus on our platform, so that they will focus more on pc development, and stop porting from the consoles.

If Battlefield 3 is anything like Battlefield 2 in gameplay, then IMO this game is gonna be the best game ever. Even if graphics aren't "Perfect". But, like i've said before, there are plenty of HD video's of the game, and they look awsome, so anyone who hasn't seen them, should go check them out, because this is one of the best looking games ever.

G

ive got both, sure pc games are unrivaled for graphics and performance, but the pc does tend to be more complex, with more things to go wrong, sure ill play bf3 and arma on my pc, but when i just want to chill out you cant beat sticking cod on the ps3, different worlds, which shouldnt meet but do, you guys blame console gamers, as though the companies give a fuck about what you want and not just making money.

Status
Not open for further replies.