DICE Unveils PC Requirements For 'Mirror's Edge Catalyst'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some requirements now will include "huge wallets for the DLC we will bundle in some time". Or maybe the minimum requirements: "100 USD for planned DLC (1st Year)", with recommended requirements: "250 USD for planned DLC (1st Year)".

Oh yeah, baby... We need to start thinking in those terms now.

Cheers!

G

Recommended Windows 10 x64 -> <mod edit>

<Watch your language>

I bet my i7-950 is more than enough for this title and I haven't even OC'd it yet. I keep seeing these requirements recommending newer chips(as minimum) but have yet to find one that fully stress's my current one. If this title ends up looking like it's worth buying, I will get to see just how much it can push my CPU. Memory usage should be interesting too, haven't had my usage go over 6gb yet...

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
When they benchmark games like this that recommend an i7, is there actually a performance improvement over something like an 15 4670K or 660K?

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

I apologize for my behavior. I don't want sanctions

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I bet my i7-950 is more than enough for this title and I haven't even OC'd it yet. I keep seeing these requirements recommending newer chips(as minimum) but have yet to find one that fully stress's my current one. If this title ends up looking like it's worth buying, I will get to see just how much it can push my CPU. Memory usage should be interesting too, haven't had my usage go over 6gb yet...

I know right. I just O/C'd my i7 930 to 3.8 in the last few months. More just to see what the limits of my set-up were than any actual need. I've been waiting for something to show me I need to upgrade for a couple of years now.

I have had to upgrade my memory to 12GB and my video card though.

I've yet to pay for any DLC for any game. I'm sure I'm missing out on something but I just refuse to subscribe/support that model or I just haven't come across a game I felt passionate enough about, to throw more money at.

As usual, it depends on the Publisher and Developer if said "content" is something you will actually pay for or not. EA and Ubisoft are serious offenders in my eyes (hence the initial comment), since they pack "day 1 DLC" with their new titles. So you pay full price for a game that is not even complete. That is just rubbish for my taste.

Good examples for paid content are games like Team Fortress 2 and Guild Wars 2: they offer in-game purchases that don't affect the actual game (cosmetic stuff, basically). Standalone games that I like the way the Publisher has handled the DLCs is SCS with the Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator games and Psyonix with Rocket League.

Cheers!

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I miss the days of nerdy programmers coding their game engines in low level and optimizing them as much possible ...

Been waiting years for a enough worthy next-gen games to amass before I upgrade, but none too excited as many titles are in Unity, with garbage engines needing unreasonable requirements for simple graphics, horribly small fonts & UIs, huge install spaces for diminishing returns ...

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, games are getting more and more complicated.

They're not necessarily getting better. They're just getting more complicated.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
What's wrong with minimum and recommended requirements these days?
R9 270x has way more performance than GTX 650 Ti.
GTX 970 has way more performance than R9 280x.
Do they just test what they have only available in their office? xD

By now I think it's clear the Frostbite engine is very compute intensive (given how little CPU power relative to GPU power Battlefield 3 and 4 needed). There's another technique the engine uses, name slipped my mind, but it gets rid of triangles that won't be view able on screen (now I'm thinking it's called primitive discard acceleration or something); I believe AMD cards are much better at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.