[SOLVED] Did AMD stop making CPUs?

Feb 18, 2021
Serious question. I'm thinking something happened and they just stopped making them. They are all GONE everywhere. Not a single one to be found that isn't from a scalper. I've never seen this before from any CPU release. It has to be either 100% COVID related or they just decided to get out of the CPU game and make T-shirts instead. I don't buy this "derp demand" argument for a second. This spoiled 1st world baby wants his damn bottle and he wants it NOW!

Reactions: Fect123
Solution
Serious question. I'm thinking something happened and they just stopped making them. They are all GONE everywhere. Not a single one to be found that isn't from a scalper. I've never seen this before from any CPU release. It has to be either 100% COVID related or they just decided to get out of the CPU game and make T-shirts instead. I don't buy this "derp demand" argument for a second. This spoiled 1st world baby wants his damn bottle and he wants it NOW!
I assume you mean the new 5000 series CPU's as 3000 series are in stock everywhere. So...

Covid pandemic a problem? Yes. But worldwide demand is incredible and unfortunately AMD is not in control of their supply of the 7nm wafers they make them from. Apple (and others) have...
What country are you in? Is it a specific cpu you are interested in? In the UK the 5600x and 5800x are easy to find, the 5900x and 5950x seem to only be available if buying a prebuilt or bundles. This indicates the 5900x and 5950x are available in limited numbers and the bigger profits are from directing them to prebuilt systems or bundles.

Reactions: Krotow
I assume you mean the new 5000 series CPU's as 3000 series are in stock everywhere. So...

Covid pandemic a problem? Yes. But worldwide demand is incredible and unfortunately AMD is not in control of their supply of the 7nm wafers they make them from. Apple (and others) have bought up all remaining capacity from TSMC. In the face of shortages speculators (scalpers) buy the easily obtained on-line CPU stocks and re-sell at markups over MSRP...look on eBay or your country's equiv.

Look at brick-and-mortar computer stores: Microcenter for instance has ample supply of the most popular 5600X. And lastly: pre-built computers can be had with both 5000 series CPU's and new GPU's (Nvidia 3000 series, AMD 6000 series) because they buy direct from distributors. A proper 1st worlder might buy one of those and part-out the unused bits.

Oh yeah, and lastly my personal belief is AMD is favoring the enterprise and cloud server market for their 7nm chiplets. They seriously want to make money, now, and that's where the big bucks are. If you have limited ability to increase your supply you favor the customer with the deeper pockets and the longer 'memory'. Just good business.

Last edited:
Solution
AMD certainly continue their work. Only 5xxx series CPUs are harder to get due to huge demand. But not much issues to get older CPU models like Zen2/3xxx line. However we are now experiencing global semiconductor shortage, caused by Covid increased IT hardware demand, huge demand in automotive industry and some plague in form of scalpers and cryptominers. If you can't buy desired CPU, wait. And don't feed scalpers.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't forget Sony. And anybody else whom has a use for GDDR6 in current production lines. That's just as affected as the 7nm silicon for the 5 series cpus.

Add to that the month long Chinese New Year celebrations and all silicon production is currently running on skeleton crews, if at all.