Did anyone figure this out? Limit network access by AMOUNT of time per day??

sstohl

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
gblasiusSep 19, 2014, 7:14 AM
I am looking to limit a particular device's access to the internet by cumulative daily time, as opposed to unlimited access during certain time periods. EG, rather than merely limit device A to access between 7-10PM, I would like to limit the access time to 1 hour. Any suggestions welcomed, with controls which are router or proxy server based preferred.

Solution
It takes quite a bit of overhead for a router to do this. The largest issue is it must keep this data someplace other than memory in case the router crashes. It does not have much flash and it is pretty easy to burn it out if you write to it all the time.

The only third party firmware that I know that has any ability to enforce data caps is gargoyle. It is not supported on as many platforms and is not as actively developed like say dd-wrt.

Now if you are willing to use a PC to do this you can use pfsense...I think, or another linux based firewall. I am pretty sure squid proxy has data caps also.
This is not easy to enforce. Many devices periodically check (download, upload) data over Internet, without actions taken by the user (eg your computer updates virus definitions, checks for updates, or downloads a large movie). How would you define such a usage?

It takes quite a bit of overhead for a router to do this. The largest issue is it must keep this data someplace other than memory in case the router crashes. It does not have much flash and it is pretty easy to burn it out if you write to it all the time.

The only third party firmware that I know that has any ability to enforce data caps is gargoyle. It is not supported on as many platforms and is not as actively developed like say dd-wrt.

Now if you are willing to use a PC to do this you can use pfsense...I think, or another linux based firewall. I am pretty sure squid proxy has data caps also.

Solution