Question Did enabling XMP kill my GPU ?

Apr 14, 2024
Hello guys,

I recently i upgraded my old X2 4gb RAM to a 2 x 8GB kit. Everything worked fine, until i realized that my new ram run super slow, it supose to be 3000 and it was running 21xx. So naturally i go to bios and change XMP profile to 3k. After saving and exiting bios pc did turn on, but the GPU didn't so now I have no signal.

I tried everything, resting CMOS battery for an hour didnt work either. My CPU has no iGPU.
Some years ago i upgraded from old A10 to R5 3600. So i need to update the bios so my new CPU can work. The motherboard is an ASRock A320M-DGS.

If I'm correct iIcan't go back to my old APU so what can i do?

I'd suggest using the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard and following the instructions in the manual if you don't already know what the procedure is.

When you say the GPU isn't turning on what exactly do you mean? If the DRAM timings/clocks aren't working then the system isn't going to do anything until the memory settings are reset.

Reactions: fakdasys and vMax
Apr 14, 2024
I mean that every time when pc turn on first goes psu fan, then CPU and last one was GPU. IT didnt happend.

Edit. Clear CMOS worked for some reason, but with 1 stick od old ram. After first boot i stick 2 mew ones and pc works.
Can u tell me how this is difrend than get battery of?
And last, tell me the jest way to get higher whit my new ram, i loose some preformance whit this asslike 21xx speed, and this ram are rated for 3000. I rly want that but speak dont want to Brick my pc again xd
And thank u very much guys for help! I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Reactions: vMax
I mean that every time when pc turn on first goes psu fan, then CPU and last one was GPU. IT didnt happend.

Edit. Clear CMOS worked for some reason, but with 1 stick od old ram. After first boot i stick 2 mew ones and pc works.
And last, tell me the jest way to get higher whit my new ram, i loose some preformance whit this asslike 21xx speed, and this ram are rated for 3000. I rly want that but speak dont want to Brick my pc again xd
And thank u very much guys for help! I really appreciate it!
Good to know you are back up and running and I will leave it to TheStryker to answer as he knows more than I do on why it worked but another nice bit of info to fall back on if I ever have an issue like yours..

Typically pulling the battery will work fine, but sometimes depending on components you have to power off and disconnect everything then hit the power button to ensure drain. If the motherboard manufacturer has a jumper for resetting CMOS and instructions on how to do it I always do that instead of pulling the battery. It's the one way guaranteed to always work on a functioning board.
It could be something with the timings that the CPU doesn't like, or even an issue relating to the board as that's first gen Ryzen. If you want better memory performance your choices are likely to be manually tuning the memory speed and timings or purchasing a whole new kit of memory.