Question Did I brick my motherboard? MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WIFI

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016
[ Moderator edit to break up solid paragraph of text.]

TLDR included. Hi everyone.

I recently bought an x570s Tomahawk MAX WIFI board along with a 5600X. Here is also my parts list for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hvFQfv

I didn't think it needed a bios update since I was told it should directly support the Ryzen 5000 series. Sadly it did not post after putting everything together so I took everything apart and left only the 24pin and 8pin plugged in and I tried flashing the BIOS through the flashback button.

I followed all steps but I recall sitting for almost an hour with the USB light still flashing slowly on my 1st attempt. I powered off the PSU in defeat, removed CMOS for about 3min and I put it back in hoping I can get a restart and I also tried a different USB stick but same thing except I left it for about 30min this time.

Reset CMOS and tried again and now the USB would rapidly flash with no onboard LEDs. It freaked me out but I let it sit for about 10min hoping it would turn off but to no avail. I shut off the PSU and tried again and now on my 4th try the USB doesn't even turn on nor the motherboard. I'm frustrated and I'm sad. I'm not sure if I was given a faulty board to begin with or if what I was doing was wrong.

I was using the most recent BIOS update too but now I'm not sure if even that was correct.

It'd be great if MSI made a guide for every single board and not just one because I don't even have a flashing red light on my board to even tell me if the flash is running, rather I was just hoping my USB stick would stop.

There are also no tutorials on this board as I discovered so that makes it even harder to know what I did wrong.

Would it still even be worth putting the parts together and trying to see if it'll turn on through the power button? Or is it officially bricked?

TL;DR: Tried to flash my BIOS about 5 times in 3hrs and even reset my CMOS and now there are no onboard LEDs and neither of my USB sticks are flashing to indicate it's updating. Not sure if I bricked or if there's still hope.

EDIT: Parts list included now.

Last edited:

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGX570STOMAHAWKMAXWIFI_TORPEDOMAX.pdf

Do verify that I found the applicable User Guide.
Hi, yes the User Guide provided is correct. I have added a parts list now also. The PSU admittedly is about 4yrs old now however it has ran flawlessly in my previous 7700k build. For disk drives, none are cleared as I was planning to format them during OS installation but never made it that far.

Ralston18

Titan
"The PSU admittedly is about 4yrs old now however it has ran flawlessly in my previous 7700k build. "

Unfortunately that may be coming to an end.....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer to determine if either one or both has been capturing any error codes, warnings, or informational events that you can match in time to the system problems.

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are an indication of a faltering or failing PSU. The PSU may have reached some threshold condition where it can no longer continually keep up with system power demands.

Take a look in the logs. Clicking individual entries will provide more detail. That detail may or may not prove helpful. The numeric error codes can researched (googled) but the results can make it al more confusing. Some "responses" or "solutions" will pop up no matter what error code is searched.

Be wary of any downloads claiming to fix said problems. And do not do any Registry edits. That is a last resort and only to be attempted after a full system backup and Registry backup.

= = = =

Also noted that you reset CMOS. Try a new fresh CMOS battery - just as a matter of elimination.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016
"The PSU admittedly is about 4yrs old now however it has ran flawlessly in my previous 7700k build. "

Unfortunately that may be coming to an end.....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer to determine if either one or both has been capturing any error codes, warnings, or informational events that you can match in time to the system problems.

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are an indication of a faltering or failing PSU. The PSU may have reached some threshold condition where it can no longer continually keep up with system power demands.

Take a look in the logs. Clicking individual entries will provide more detail. That detail may or may not prove helpful. The numeric error codes can researched (googled) but the results can make it al more confusing. Some "responses" or "solutions" will pop up no matter what error code is searched.

Be wary of any downloads claiming to fix said problems. And do not do any Registry edits. That is a last resort and only to be attempted after a full system backup and Registry backup.

= = = =

Also noted that you reset CMOS. Try a new fresh CMOS battery - just as a matter of elimination.
Hey, sorry for the late reply but I set up my previous 7700k build to diagnose the PSU and I have found new discoveries. After I turn the PC on, it shuts off after about 3-5sec then turns back on about a second after turning off. The PSU fan still spins as well as all the fans on the system including LEDs, but they shut off when the PC does. Could this be a PSU issue or could other things cause this? I'm positive I have everything plugged in correctly so I'm clueless as to what could be the issue as of now.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016
No worries.

Do you have any access to a known working PSU that could be tried in both builds?

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltage out of tolerance makes the PSU suspect.
Sadly I don't have another PSU to test with but I am about to be on my way to buy a new one right now just to see if the issue still persists. I also do have a multimeter but with little knowledge. Though, I'm grateful you provided a link on how to test it so I'll probably make that attempt as well.

vanglex

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016
No worries.

Do you have any access to a known working PSU that could be tried in both builds?

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltage out of tolerance makes the PSU suspect.
Hello, I'm back from testing a brand new PSU. The same symptoms still occur even with a brand new PSU so I can only assume that the PSU is not the issue. I'm pretty much at a loss now as I've never dealt with anything like this and pretty much losing hope.

Ralston18

Titan
Try clearing CMOS per the motherboard's SOP - should be a jumper on the motherboard. Reference physically numbered Page 30.

Do install a new CMOS battery.

Disconnect all drives except the boot drive.

While the computer is open (powered down and unplugged) clean out all dust and debris.

Also verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Due to expansion, contraction, and vibrations they all can and do work their way loose. At some point connectivity becomes comes intermittent making troubleshooting difficult.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage. Bare conductor showing, melted insulation, cracked connectors, pinched or kinked wires, swollen components, browned or blackened areas/streaks, missing or loose screws.

Then try booting again and via Safe Mode if necessary.

TRENDING THREADS