[SOLVED] Did I damage my SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gammonGo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I think this is a combination cooling, SSD and "not sure what's wrong" question.

I have a newly (in January) self-built Win 10 PC. But self-built doesn't mean I know what I'm doing. I just always wanted to do that, and managed to do it this one time.

The system/Windows has been making a brief buzzing noise and freezing. I associate the noise with my old laptop overheating after the fans inside it stopped working. i think my SSD is broken or overheating.

Here is what else I noticed
  • It seems to occur when opening Windows File Explorer, at the exact moment when it is building the directory tree.
  • In all cases, the case's fans were spinning.
  • However, in all cases, the processor was not being exercised.
  • The vents are clear and I only have a light object or two sitting on the case (not blocking any vents).
  • It stop if I shut down the PC for ten (long!) minutes -- that is, to let it cool.
Questions
  1. Did I diagnose this right?
  2. Why is the SSD overheating so easily?
  3. Is my SSD broken (I know enough not to run checkdisk on it)? How do I check it? Repair it? Is it just about as good as new or should I complain because it overheated so easily and exchange it?
  4. Can I even exchange it? Would a store even take it back after using it 5 months? And then do I need to go through the whole re-install thing again? (I know the answer to the last question.)
What do you all recommend I do (other than "Stop using your machine so then it won't overheat")?

Solution
check the temps before anything overheats, and see what temps are being hit for CPU, and SSD....

CrystalDiskInfo has a large tab for current temp.... if you see 60-65C for an SSD temp, that is indeed too warm, for whatever reason(s)

gammonGo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
OK, downloading it now and will return to this thread when I have more info. TY.
check the temps before anything overheats, and see what temps are being hit for CPU, and SSD....

CrystalDiskInfo has a large tab for current temp.... if you see 60-65C for an SSD temp, that is indeed too warm, for whatever reason(s)

gammonGo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Is this bad that all of the attributes are currently at their worst level and above the threshhold?

P.S. I can't post an image, not even a link to one in my Google Drive. But all the attributes have
  • Current: 100
  • Worst: 100
  • Threshhold: 50

Status
Not open for further replies.