[SOLVED] Did I download a virus?

Jul 17, 2018
I was trying to download Optifine for minecraft the website I downloaded it from [questionable link]
I later found out that the official website is : https://optifine.net/downloads

EDIT : ok so I scanned my PC with Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, and Kaspersky, all showed no threats found so I might be safe

Last edited:
Solution
Well, whenever I click download or mirror on that website my Kaspersky antivirus goes crazy and the Malwarebytes chrome extension I have blocked the page so... yeah its a form of malware. Malwarebytes says it's adware but Kaspersky says: "The link can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data."

I'd delete it immediately by going to "search" on your desktop and type 'add or remove programs' (I'm assuming you're using Windows 10). Press enter then scroll through the list until you find the app (probably labeled Optifine 1.14 or something). Left click it and select 'uninstall'. When a dialogue box pops up saying "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device," select yes. If another box pops up, do...

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
Well, whenever I click download or mirror on that website my Kaspersky antivirus goes crazy and the Malwarebytes chrome extension I have blocked the page so... yeah its a form of malware. Malwarebytes says it's adware but Kaspersky says: "The link can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data."

I'd delete it immediately by going to "search" on your desktop and type 'add or remove programs' (I'm assuming you're using Windows 10). Press enter then scroll through the list until you find the app (probably labeled Optifine 1.14 or something). Left click it and select 'uninstall'. When a dialogue box pops up saying "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device," select yes. If another box pops up, do what it says to uninstall.

I'd recommend installing Kaspersky, it's free: https://www.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus
After you install, do a system scan and let it do its thing. It will quarantine everything it sees as a threat.

Reactions: damianchavez2003
Solution
Reactions: rgd1101