Did I forget to install standoffs on my Thermaltake core x31 ?

Oct 5, 2018
Hello,

So it's been 4 weeks since I built my pc. And this is only now I realize I forgot about standoffs. My pc is working fine and I had no issue with it whatsoever. But i'm still concerned.
Here is my case : https://thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002786 (Thermaltake core x31) with a z370-h motherboard.

I think there is some pre installed standoffs but I'm not sure, could anyone confirm this ?
I currently have a condition that makes my hand really shaky when it comes to precision, so I really don't want to do it all again !

Edit : So I finally ended up taking everything appart and I found out that for the 9 holes on my motherboard, there are 9 corresponding pre installed standoffs. So everything is fine !

Solution
If you have a micro-ATX board, then you don't need to add standoffs. They are integrated. If you have an ATX board, then you are probably missing two standoff locations if you did not install the two standoffs that came with the board. You might want to verify that visually. The two extras COULD be for E-ATX boards, but I think they are for ATX versions that use two more standoffs than mATX boards.

You should be able to easily look at your board, see the standoff locations and whether there are any holes in the board intended for standoffs that don't have screws in them. Keep in mind, there may be other holes in the board that were not intended for standoffs. You can tell by looking at the holes where there ARE standoffs, if the other...
If you have a micro-ATX board, then you don't need to add standoffs. They are integrated. If you have an ATX board, then you are probably missing two standoff locations if you did not install the two standoffs that came with the board. You might want to verify that visually. The two extras COULD be for E-ATX boards, but I think they are for ATX versions that use two more standoffs than mATX boards.

You should be able to easily look at your board, see the standoff locations and whether there are any holes in the board intended for standoffs that don't have screws in them. Keep in mind, there may be other holes in the board that were not intended for standoffs. You can tell by looking at the holes where there ARE standoffs, if the other holes should have them as well. They will look the same AROUND the edges of the hole as the ones where mounting screws are already at.

Solution
Oct 5, 2018

My motherboard is a full size ATX, I guess I forgot 2 standoffs then. Does it matter that much now or is my hardware not safe ?

I would install them. Otherwise, there will be sections of the board that are not well supported which can lead to extra stress on the electrical traces in that area. That can cause cracked traces over time and early failure of the motherboard. Not worth the risk, make sure it's right.

Your board SHOULD have standoffs in all these positions.

ATX_Motherboard.png

Oct 5, 2018

Yup ! My MB has 9 screw holes, and I have 9 pre-installed standoffs on the case that perfectly match my ATX MB.

TRENDING THREADS