Question Did I fry my card?

freeman4555

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Hello! I need your help.

I dismounted my card from the motherboard for 2 minutes, and then mounted it back on. The card stopped working. I get no image & the cooling fans don't spin. I can't figure out why.

My last hope is the power supply, I hope that I somehow didn't re-connect the correct cables, or that the PSU failed during those 2 minutes.

I think I had 6 + 6+2 pins plugged into the card. But my card accepts 8+8. Am I supposed to have all 16 pins plugged in, or is 14 enough?

Last edited:

freeman4555

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Ok it needed 16 pins. I plugged the last two in, and everything works.
FFS I Just wasted 2 hours of my life. Thanks anyways, borski

In my defense, I was using two separate power cables, one of them was solely being used for the +2.
I thought that that was too stupid to be true, there was no way that i'd do that during the build, so I didn't bother testing it. I'm an idiot.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok it needed 16 pins. I plugged the last two in, and everything works.
FFS I Just wasted 2 hours of my life. Thanks anyways, borski

In my defense, I was using two separate power cables, one of them was solely being used for the +2.
I thought that that was too stupid to be true, there was no way that i'd do that during the build, so I didn't bother testing it. I'm an idiot.

Always better to feel stupid and have a happy ending than feel smart and having an expensive one!

Reactions: zaakat