May 12, 2016
I am new to building a PC and the following is my part list:
msi gaming M5 mobo
intel 6700k skylake CPU
corsair h110i GTX liquid cooling
Corsair 850i gtx power supply
G skill ripjaws V series 2x16 gb RAM
msi 980ti geforce golden edition GPU

I tried to install everything and boot, but that didn't work. So I stripped down to just the mobo, cpu, liq cooler and one stick of RAM and tried to boot that.

The Corsair H110i GTX manual only tells me to connect the fan header from the heatsink to the mobo, but nothing about the sata power header, and I did not know it was a power header -_-

anyway, so I tried booting with everything but the sata power header connected and the computer did not boot. all the lights on the motherboard kept going off and msi told me the issue was bent pins in the cpu socket which I found and rectified. But the computer still wouldn't boot and only a single LED went off on the mobo. I have since sent the mobo back for a refund and got the msi gaming titanium mobo.
Now I am scared that since my liq cooler SATA power header was not connected ot power, I actually fried my CPU. Is that possible?

The RPM signalling fan header was connected to the mobo, so in case the liq cooler was not getting power, the mobo should have known because of the rpm sensor and not booted right?

In short, did I fry my CPU or not????

Solution
Nah, your CPU will be fine. You didn't even get the system to boot so there wasn't even a load on the processor. I wouldn't sweat it.

Janhavi23

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Thank you thank you thank you!!

joesavy86

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

I doubt that you fried the CPU because of the SATA power header not being connected.
However, I am concerned that you damaged the CPU by bending the pins.
I've seen videos of people straightening the pins, but in some cases the CPU can be permanently damaged.

Intel CPU don't have pins. The motherboard contains the pins.

Don't forget to mark the best answer :)