Question Did I fry my CPU?

grasmaaier

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Ok, this is going to be a long story but I'm gonna give all of the context: I'm building a pc for somebody else. It has the asrock b450m-hdv r4.0 which I have used before. His build has an r3 3100 so I decided to use my own r5 1600 to update the bios. I booted it outside of the case via jumpstarting the power pins. Booted, fans spinning, but no usb or display. (Well the usb works for a split second but then the LEDs on my mouse and kb turn off) Spent the entire day troubleshooting (clearing the cmos every possible way multiple times, replugged every power header, checked the ram) and concluded that the motherboard was faulty. I put my r5 1600 back in my own rig (msi b350 pc mate) and the same exact problems start occuring (plus the ez debug led went on), so I decide to take it out and it turns out that one of the pins was bent a little bit because I acidentally let it fall on my gpu (so about 10 cm). Bent the pin back into place, and quadruple checked from every angle to see all of the pins and none were bent or visibly damaged. So I put it in without a cpu cooler just to see if it will boot in general (not the brightest idea, but people on the internet said it's fine if it weren't for long. I was gonna look for about 10 secs) All of the LEDs flashed for a few secs and it went out. Put in the cpu cooler, and it was running again but with the same issues. Tried clearing the cmos again in every possible way, nothing works. In the manual it says to jump the pins without unplugging the psu, this is the only thing I havent tried because a few people have said that this could fry your system. I don't know what to do anymore, does anybody have some ideas? (I can go to a hardware store if I really have to, but that's my last resort)

Ok, this is going to be a long story but I'm gonna give all of the context: I'm building a pc for somebody else. It has the asrock b450m-hdv r4.0 which I have used before. His build has an r3 3100 so I decided to use my own r5 1600 to update the bios. I booted it outside of the case via jumpstarting the power pins. Booted, fans spinning, but no usb or display. (Well the usb works for a split second but then the LEDs on my mouse and kb turn off) Spent the entire day troubleshooting (clearing the cmos every possible way multiple times, replugged every power header, checked the ram) and concluded that the motherboard was faulty. I put my r5 1600 back in my own rig (msi b350 pc mate) and the same exact problems start occuring (plus the ez debug led went on), so I decide to take it out and it turns out that one of the pins was bent a little bit because I acidentally let it fall on my gpu (so about 10 cm). Bent the pin back into place, and quadruple checked from every angle to see all of the pins and none were bent or visibly damaged. So I put it in without a cpu cooler just to see if it will boot in general (not the brightest idea, but people on the internet said it's fine if it weren't for long. I was gonna look for about 10 secs) All of the LEDs flashed for a few secs and it went out. Put in the cpu cooler, and it was running again but with the same issues. Tried clearing the cmos again in every possible way, nothing works. In the manual it says to jump the pins without unplugging the psu, this is the only thing I havent tried because a few people have said that this could fry your system. I don't know what to do anymore, does anybody have some ideas? (I can go to a hardware store if I really have to, but that's my last resort)
I am afraid the CPU may be faulty, due to the fact that the faulty motherboard must have took out the cpu with it. For some symptoms, the signs of a faulty CPU include:
  • Computer turns on, no beeps, no screen. Does not POST
  • Computer turns on, fans run at highest speeds, still no POST, and operating system not loading.
  • Computer powers on, but turns off immediately.
If it is possible, try getting a friend so they can test the cpu on their bench or try testing their cpu on your bench. Also frying is caused when a faulty power supply delivers too much voltage to a part and basically burns the part. If you can, try to return it. Good luck

(p.s. don't worry about the CPU damaging your motherboard)

grasmaaier

Commendable
May 17, 2018
So luckily my cpu isn't damaged, after replugging every power cable and resetting the cmos with the power plugged in I somehow managed to get it working. Thanks for your time though, I'm gonna go to a hardware store tomorrow to see if the new motherboard is faulty or if they can update the bios. Will cost me but ehh it is what it is.