Question Did I fry my motherboard?

NicklasSore

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2015
Hello!

Yesterday, as I was about to go to bed, I accidentally kicked my leg forward and hit the cords at the beginning of the socket (not on the computer). The entire image on my PC froze, and so did the sound, which just went like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Then, the PC shut down. I tried to turn my PC on again, but no image appeared, and after 20 seconds, the PC would shut down by itself.

I turned off the power entirely, cleaned both power cord ends, and then turned the power back on. Now, the PC wouldn't turn off after 20 seconds. However, nothing appeared on my screen, nor did any USB-related devices light up, indicating something is wrong with the USB ports. I unplugged the power cord overnight in case some electricity was building up. When I turned it on in the morning, I encountered the same problem.

I then decided to give my PC a good cleaning and jump the CMOS by removing the battery for roughly 10 minutes. After turning it on again, there was still nothing.
My screen and USB devices work fine on my laptop.

I assume the USB interface is done?

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Hello!

Yesterday, as I was about to go to bed, I accidentally kicked my leg forward and hit the cords at the beginning of the socket (not on the computer). The entire image on my PC froze, and so did the sound, which just went like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Then, the PC shut down. I tried to turn my PC on again, but no image appeared, and after 20 seconds, the PC would shut down by itself.

I turned off the power entirely, cleaned both power cord ends, and then turned the power back on. Now, the PC wouldn't turn off after 20 seconds. However, nothing appeared on my screen, nor did any USB-related devices light up, indicating something is wrong with the USB ports. I unplugged the power cord overnight in case some electricity was building up. When I turned it on in the morning, I encountered the same problem.

I then decided to give my PC a good cleaning and jump the CMOS by removing the battery for roughly 10 minutes. After turning it on again, there was still nothing.
My screen and USB devices work fine on my laptop.

I assume the USB interface is done?
What is your PSU model?

It might be that you killed either the motherboard or PSU.
I'll tend towards the motherboard, since PSU is unlikely based on the symptoms.

If only you could borrow or find another PSU to test with, to verify it's actually the motherboard.

NicklasSore

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2015
If you disconnect all USB devices from the system and then power it on, does the behavior change?

I suspect you damaged the motherboard, at this point.
Took all USB devices out, powered on, nothing changed.
What is your PSU model?

It might be that you killed either the motherboard or PSU.
I'll tend towards the motherboard, since PSU is unlikely based on the symptoms.

If only you could borrow or find another PSU to test with, to verify it's actually the motherboard.
Uh I forgot, but fans are still spinning and there are light in the motherboard such as the "CLEAR CMOS" button.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It does seem the motherboard is shot.

Here is the rest of the potential bad news. A shorted motherboard can take other things with it (like anything attached to it like the CPU, memory, devices plugged into the motherboard slots, etc).

What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

NicklasSore

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2015
It does seem the motherboard is shot.

Here is the rest of the potential bad news. A shorted motherboard can take other things with it (like anything attached to it like the CPU, memory, devices plugged into the motherboard slots, etc).

What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?
It's a old build and I cannot exactly remember the 1:1 spec, but we're talking 48gb DDR4 ram, 2x1TB SSD, older graphic card, Sapphire 290 or something, X99S Motherboard

NicklasSore

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2015
I asked from a cost/benefit determination. An old X99 mobo can be found, but how much money do you want to throw at obsolete tech?
Not much tbh, if anything this only makes me want to buy a new mid-range pc, since I really hate carrying around my fulltower. Only reason I was bit panicking is because most of my notes for my exam is on the pc, but I guess I just have to do by without. Thanks for the quick and helpful diagnostics

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Not much tbh, if anything this only makes me want to buy a new mid-range pc, since I really hate carrying around my fulltower. Only reason I was bit panicking is because most of my notes for my exam is on the pc, but I guess I just have to do by without. Thanks for the quick and helpful diagnostics
Understood. If you have a budget in mind, we can help you build a new system and hopefully recycling some of your current components to keep your costs down.

Reactions: PEnns

NicklasSore

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2015
Understood. If you have a budget in mind, we can help you build a new system and hopefully recycling some of your current components to keep your costs down.
Thanks! I would have a budget of around $1400 to a new PC.

I still believe my ram (DDR4, unknown socket), SSDs and PSU(Evga Supernova 1000W g2) would be usable, possible even my graphic card (290x)

I don't have any requirements besides I don't want the case to be a full-tower as my current one is, as it's not practical to move around and people think I'm the hugest geek in town. I don't really game after attending Med School, probably the most crazy thing I do is either some small work in photoshop or having 4505 tabs and 5 ebooks open at the same time.

So a mid-size case would be nice, preferably a quiet one and minimal or completely no LEDS.