Did I fry my motherboards audio chipset?

Aug 29, 2018
I've recently been having trouble with my ethernet port on my machine so I purchased a wireless PCI card and chucked it in. After rebooting my computer I went to install the driver and it said it wasn't detected, so for a silly reason I unplugged it and plugged it back in. While doing that I accidentally knocked a part of the motherboard (nowhere near the audio from what I can tell) and short-circuited something. Computer shut itself off. I got scared, rebooted and everything was fine but the audio, just white noise through both headphones and speakers (speakers plugged in the back ports headphones in the front)

Tried new speakers, tried both ports, tried uninstalling and reinstalling, updating to the latest drivers, all the normal things. Nothing seems to fix it just constant white noise. I can run audio through my monitor so I know audio works but just not my chipsets. Is there anyway I can fix this or do I have to purchase a new card, external USB audio thing.

Solution
I would say that there is a good chance that something happened to the MB.

....and to me it almost certainly sounds like hardware failure that was caused by whatever you knocked.

So if this is the case....I'm thinking a repair isn't going to be straight forward and I would probably either purchase a new MB or at least something to get audio to where I wanted it.
I would say that there is a good chance that something happened to the MB.

....and to me it almost certainly sounds like hardware failure that was caused by whatever you knocked.

So if this is the case....I'm thinking a repair isn't going to be straight forward and I would probably either purchase a new MB or at least something to get audio to where I wanted it.

Solution