Did I get a used E8400 processor from Newegg?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Lapping does make a huge difference with some heatspreaders. I lapped my Opteron and it dropped about 8 degrees with air cooling.

I will have to see what my temps are before I think about lapping the E8400. From my understanding, the 45nm process will hit a wall before temperature is an issue. Lapping will shave off a couple of degrees, but at a certain point, it requires extreme cooling (liq. Nitrogen) to achieve a higher OC. Super cold equals less electrical resistance equals lower voltage required equals higher stable overclock.

In other words. I don't see the point when The proccessor hits a wall at 50 degrees on water. Getting it down to 48 degrees isn't going to get any more Mhz out of it.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Yeh, like totally agree. Older processor heatspreaders (P4 socket 478 and Opterons/Athlon-64's) are uniformally concave on the top surface in my experience. It takes ages to lap the heatspreaders to 240 grit as they are so totally non-flat. The heatspreader actually has a massive gap right where you need best contact with the heatsink - i.e. over the actual physical CPU die which is in the middle.

Newer processors like the 45nm have less thermal issues from what I have read. Also certainly the 1x E2180 heatspreader I have lapped was very small and already practically flat anyway (65nm dual-core)...

Bob

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

:heink: . o O (GPU???)

So your GPU has a heat spreader on it? Or are you talking about the HS on the gpu?

Or did you take a layer of silicon off the gpu?

Why am I asking these questions.... :sleep: