Question Did I just brick my PC ?

May 12, 2024
I was building a new PC and I was screwing it down and I didn't see where a screw went. Happens that a standoff wasn't there... And the Power button couldn't turn off the PC. Did I short circuit it?

I don't believe the PC was ever plugged in when the motherboard would've touched the case. Also my power button won't turn off the PC no matter how long I hold it. Could the case maybe be causing the power button issue? The button can turn it on though, but not off.

The PC also won't POST. One of the square things right by the CPU socket isn't on properly.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, we need specs to your build. Please list them like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Second, there's only so much you can convey with text that we'll need pictures to understand what you're referring to. Host your iamges/video on a site akin to Imgur then parse your URL here for us to see.

As for your build, did you breadboard the build to see if they worked out of the box? Sometimes you can end up with a DoA part but that is rare.

Reactions: stonecarver
May 12, 2024
If you're curious the Specs are
R7 5800X
Stock AMD warith
ASRock B550M-HDV
Team group T-Force Vulcan Z 32gb 3200
Intel M.2 and Vulcan Z 1tb
MSI RTX 3050 8GB
Powerspec 650 80+Bronze
And Ultra case

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
One of the square things right by the CPU socket isn't on properly.
What is this?

Does something connect to it or is it some square component of the mobo that's loose and moving?

Take a picture. It may the be CPU connector for the power supply CPU cable

Does the PC turn off when you use the button now? You have to check your case front panel connectors and motherboard headers. They can be difficult to get right.

May 12, 2024
What is this?

Does something connect to it or is it some square component of the mobo that's loose and moving?

Take a picture. It may the be CPU connector for the power supply CPU cable

Does the PC turn off when you use the button now? You have to check your case front panel connectors and motherboard headers. They can be difficult to get right.
It does turn off via the power button now

May 12, 2024
If that's a new motherboard and it's under warranty, i'd return it immediately. It won't explode or anything but that looks damaged.

Even if it's just a cover cap and the choke is ok, it's impossible to know for sure. I'd return it.
It's a brand new AsRock B550M. I hadn't noticed this until it was all put together.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I don't know what the hell I read in the first post. You couldn't turn it off but it was never plugged in? I must have fallen asleep and awoken in a potato universe.

In all seriousness, chances are you're fine. However I don't believe in fine, especially when one is in a return window. Carefully disassemble everything, say something is intermittently wrong that can't be immediately reproduced but also can't be a different component issue, like "Can't get into BIOS randomly. One day it's fine, next it takes 5 tries and is fine again for a few days. Want to exchange as I believe it's faulty. BIOS update didn't fix it. "

I wouldn't risk it. Everything could seem fine but something as small as a (few) decoupling capacitors could have gotten cooked and cause issues down the line.

Reactions: 35below0
May 12, 2024
I don't know what the hell I read in the first post. You couldn't turn it off but it was never plugged in? I must have fallen asleep and awoken in a potato universe.

In all seriousness, chances are you're fine. However I don't believe in fine, especially when one is in a return window. Carefully disassemble everything, say something is intermittently wrong that can't be immediately reproduced but also can't be a different component issue, like "Can't get into BIOS randomly. One day it's fine, next it takes 5 tries and is fine again for a few days. Want to exchange as I believe it's faulty. BIOS update didn't fix it. "

I wouldn't risk it. Everything could seem fine but something as small as a (few) decoupling capacitors could have gotten cooked and cause issues down the line.
So your saying I should return the motherboard?

If that's a new motherboard and it's under warranty, i'd return it immediately. It won't explode or anything but that looks damaged.

Even if it's just a cover cap and the choke is ok, it's impossible to know for sure. I'd return it.
Id agree. VRM/Mosfet/Cap. It may only be superficial, but being new, I wouldn't settle for it. If it is damaged, that could effect things under load.