Did I kill my Mobo?

Jul 29, 2018
So yesterday I built, and broke, my first computer.

here are the specs:

Mobo: Asrock h77 pro4/mvp
CPU: i5-3350p
Gpu: Radeon R9 290 tri-x OC edition
RAM: 16 Gb of ddr3 ripjaw 1600
PSU: EVGA 600w bronze
I know it’s not great but it only costed me $300.

But anyways, after getting everything set up I was finally able to run Windows off of one of my laptops hard drives and all was well. Then like an idiot, I decided to try to plug in another hard drive while my computer is still running. I plug in the power cable and it’s fine, then I plug in the SATA cable and the whole computer shuts off and won’t turn on. Not even the fans will come on

I think I ruled out it being the psu because I plugged it into another old Mobo I had and it turned the led light on. I also checked for damage to the cpu and the CPU looks perfect.

The motherboard seems to be in perfect physical condition, no broken capacitors or charring anywhere on the board.

What do you guys think? Can I fix the Mobo? Do I just need a new Mobo? (Please take it easy on me I know I did something stupid but it’s my first time building a computer.) Thanks!

Solution
sata ports some can do what you did if the hot swap is turned on. you may have tripped the mb dead short protection. try clearing the cmos with the power off and the power supply unplugged. leave it for 10 min then see if it come back on.
sata ports some can do what you did if the hot swap is turned on. you may have tripped the mb dead short protection. try clearing the cmos with the power off and the power supply unplugged. leave it for 10 min then see if it come back on.

Solution