superawesomeALVIN

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
I have a kit of corsair lpx ddr4 3200 CL16 ver. 4.32 (although it say samsung B-die, it seems inferior) (cmk16gx4m2e3200c16). Yesterday, I tried using DRAM calculator for ryzen to tighten the timings. I used the 3200 SAFE preset for B-die and samsung OEM, both could not boot, so I reverted to the xmp profile and everything worked normally. Then today, I encountered multiple BSOD, to the point I cannot boot. After some component swapping, I found out one of the ram sticks was faulty. I had one BSOD the day before I tinkered with the ram. Is it possible I killed the ram, or is it defective when I got it?

I'm gonna try to RMA it anyway, I'm concerned should I try again when I get a replacement.

Those sticks are NOT B-die sticks. No chance. They are not listed on either of the sites dedicated to identifying Samsung B-die equipped memory modules, so there is zero chance that they are, plus I've never seen ANY Corsair LPX sticks that WERE B-die. Plus, if they were B-die at 3200mhz, they would be CL14 sticks, not CL16.

I would strongly suggest that it's likely they were bad when you got them. Nothing you did, unless you managed to seriously overvolt them or if you bent some pins on the CPU while installing it, would have been likely to do that. AND, I would HIGHLY recommend that it might be a good idea to pull the CPU and make SURE that you did not bend any pins during installation, because that OFTEN causes similar memory issues to what you are experiencing right now.

superawesomeALVIN

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Those sticks are NOT B-die sticks. No chance. They are not listed on either of the sites dedicated to identifying Samsung B-die equipped memory modules, so there is zero chance that they are, plus I've never seen ANY Corsair LPX sticks that WERE B-die. Plus, if they were B-die at 3200mhz, they would be CL14 sticks, not CL16.

I doubt they are actual B-dies, but it is what's shown in SPD.
DRAM-info.png

superawesomeALVIN

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Did you buy these sticks new or used?

They're brand new. Some users reported B-die as well if you google lpx 4.32, but suggest it's lower grade.

Very fishy. Need full system specs.

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk max
Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16
Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super gaming OC
Intel 660p 1TB

The distributor replaced my faulty kit, now I have ver. 5.38, but I have no idea which type of hynix die is it.
DRAM-info-new.png

Brand new from WHO? Pretty sure anybody with Thaiphoon burner can change the SPD EEPROM information to say anything they want it to say. And I've NEVER seen ANY sticks that were 3000 or 3200mhz that were B-die and had anything other than a CL14 CAS latency. I'm calling BS on what's being reported and if you didn't buy those from a direct retailer like Amazon or Newegg, which does NOT include buying through third party sellers on those sites, then at best it would be suspect and possibly not even new sticks. Wouldn't be the first scam like that I've seen.

I've also never heard of "lower grade B-die". B-die is B-die, period. It's Samsung's top of the line memory chip product, or at least, it was. They've apparently discontinued them now, which is fracking stupid unless they have plans to offer something better but from what I've read that is not planned, so it's supposedly going to be A-die from here on out on their "high end" stuff. Lame.

So long as you are running at the proper speed, timings and voltage, I'd leave it alone and be happy with that. Figured there was something wrong with those other sticks, like I said earlier, and obviously there was since these are working correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: damric

superawesomeALVIN

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Brand new from WHO? Pretty sure anybody with Thaiphoon burner can change the SPD EEPROM information to say anything they want it to say. And I've NEVER seen ANY sticks that were 3000 or 3200mhz that were B-die and had anything other than a CL14 CAS latency. I'm calling BS on what's being reported and if you didn't buy those from a direct retailer like Amazon or Newegg, which does NOT include buying through third party sellers on those sites, then at best it would be suspect and possibly not even new sticks. Wouldn't be the first scam like that I've seen.

I've also never heard of "lower grade B-die". B-die is B-die, period. It's Samsung's top of the line memory chip product, or at least, it was. They've apparently discontinued them now, which is fracking stupid unless they have plans to offer something better but from what I've read that is not planned, so it's supposedly going to be A-die from here on out on their "high end" stuff. Lame.

So long as you are running at the proper speed, timings and voltage, I'd leave it alone and be happy with that. Figured there was something wrong with those other sticks, like I said earlier, and obviously there was since these are working correctly.
I did some more digging and found a remark over at r/overclocking under Samsung 8Gbit Rev.B ("B-die")
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/wiki/ram/ddr4#wiki_.22version_number.22
"NB: b-die found on oem sticks and low bin sticks identified by marking and not timings is still solid, but tends to be noticeably worse in both performance and voltage scaling than b-die found in "b-die only" bins and isn't worth a premium over basic 3200C16 sticks of random hynix."

I believe those were legit, cause I bought them from a physical shop and warranted by a reputable local distributor, that's why I could get a replacement.