[SOLVED] Did I Make a Mistake, or is there a problem with CPU / Motherboard? [Z490 + 10th Gen Intel CPU]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2020
I recently built a new system as my old system had issues with its motherboard over time.

Here are the specs in brief,

• 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700 65W (non-K model)
  • Intel Stock CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte Z490 Aorous Ultra ITX Motherboard
  • 32GB RAM G.Skill F4-3200C15D-32GVK
  • 6GB VRAM EVGA RTX 2060 KO Ultra
  • 550 Watts EVGA 80 Bronze PSU
  • Fractal Design's Core 500 ITX Case
  • 1x Rear Exhaust Fan 140mm
  • 2x Top Intake Fans 140mm
  • 2x WD Black SN750 NVME SSD's 500GB
  • 2x WD 4TB Hard Drives
  • 2x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD's
This build in a well ventilated area.

Issue:

While gaming my CPU gets thermally throttled

I ran Intel's XTU utility and noticed that CPU jumps from 65W to 123W during stress tests; the temperature shoots up, and the CPU becomes thermally throttled after a few seconds during the test (100 degrees Celsius)

I sense that the motherboard is not detecting the correct model CPU (although it wouldn't post if that was the case), but by default it mistakenly sensing this 65W TDP CPU as 125W. I had to set the turbo thermal limit 65W in the BIOS and now temperatures are much cooler especially at idle as well as gaming; but now, the CPU get's power throttled as per XTU.

In-spite of this the CPU still passes the stress tests.

Do you all think I may mated the wrong CPU with the motherboard (which is meant for enthusiasts and overclockers)? Or do you think that either CPU or motherboard is defective?

My next option was going for the 10700K and be done with it. Initially I wanted something more power efficient, do it all machine. However, if I need to compromise, then lesson learned, I don't mind the extra premium on the K model if you all say so.

Please let me know, thank you

Jun 14, 2020
Interesting, I was not aware of that. After speaking with Intel for the last a couple of days this should have been obvious. Is there any reason why my CPU is thermally throttling during the stress test then?

I have the non-K 10700 model. I'm thinking about switching over to the K model as it seems my Gigabyte Aorous Z490 Ultra motherboard seems better compatible with the K CPU's.

Jun 14, 2020
I just purchased Noctua's U12A cooler. Why isn't my Gigabyte motherboard limiting the TDP to 65 Watts though? Also, would it be better to just return this CPU and get the K-model? I'm doing just about everything with this system; gaming and video editing, etc.

100 is too hot. reseat the cooler or get a new one

Jun 14, 2020
Thanks, It looks like the guy over at Intel doesn't know what he's talking about then. He keeps telling me that since the 10700 is a 65W CPU, it shouldn't be drawing more than 65 Watts.

it in the intel spec.
if it going to overheat, it will do the same thing of the k model

Status
Not open for further replies.