[SOLVED] Did I mess up on this order/build?

Mar 10, 2019
First off,building a PC is totally foriegn to me. I have watched a ton of YouTube builds and changed a few things. I had someone tell me they thought the ram would not work with the ryzen processor. Only thing I could see was a few years ago there were some issues. The PC will be used for photo/video editing mostly and maybe a game/simulator every so often.

This is the build.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 8-Core 3.2 GHz (4.1 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W

ASRock X470 Taichi AM4 AMD Promontory X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 GV-RX580GAMING-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model

SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ

Also someone said they thought it required a
hdd with the ssd. I plan to add one down the road just not now.

I apologize for all the noob questions but figured I would post here for critiquing and advise on any changes you would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The box today was the motherboard,ram processor, vidcard,power supply,and ssd came in the mail. All ready wondering about changinging. I did not understand it seems mostly the OS will be on the ssd on the board. I got a 1tb 970evo and wondering if I would be better off with the 970pro 512mb instead,plus it's about $70 cheaper. Is this a worth while change? Also if I put the 2 8gb sticks of ram in can I put 2 sticks of 16gb in later or do they have to be 8gb also? Ohh and yesterday the tower came and the keyboard. Thanks for the replies and working with my ignorance of the subject.

The difference between the two versions of the SSD come down to the read/write speeds of both. The higher capacity drives (1TB,2TB) will typically...
Mar 10, 2019
Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Gaming PC Computer Case with Dual Ring RGB LED Fans, 360mm Water Cooling Radiator

Rosewill Glacier Series 850W Modular Gaming Power Supply with Silent Aero-Diversion Fan, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified,

That someone was half right and half wrong. The ram you have chosen is not on the QVL for the mobo. That just means it hasn't been tested with the mobo. It doesn't mean it won't work. It just may be tricky to get them to work without playing around with them.

Choosing a set of DIMMS from this list will give you a set of DIMMS that have been tested and will work as expected. Choosing DIMMS that aren't on the QVL, can be problematic : https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR

The build is pretty solid. You don't necessarily need another HD/SSD. You have a 1tb SSD. Normally people will have an SSD as a boot drive (and typically put the OS on it) and have a traditional HD as the main file storage/videos/photos etc. But with a big SSD as you have, you may not need another drive. If you do, get one.

Defo agree with kanewolf on PSU. You want something strong in there and quality. Something like this would do great:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-11 15:53 EDT-0400

Reactions: Miles.o.Roads
Mar 10, 2019
Thanks Keith, I needed that when ordering but they didn't have that on website. Guess I should have checked manufacture. Also I listed power supply. So should I return and get a listed on? I'm not much the gambling type.

g-unit1111

Titan
That someone was half right and half wrong. The ram you have chosen is not on the QVL for the mobo. That just means it hasn't been tested with the mobo. It doesn't mean it won't work. It just may be tricky to get them to work without playing around with them.

Just because it's not on the QVL does not mean that it's a no buy. The QVL is mainly a guideline to test a few different modules to make sure that voltages and timings are compatible. It's a newer module than when the board was in the manufacturing process so naturally it wouldn't be. That Corsair RAM that was chosen should be OK to use.

Mar 10, 2019
I ordered the 3200's and had planned to send the 3000's back. Excuse the ignorance but is one of these faster than the other? And are they compatible with each other I may put all 4 in. Some guys said in raw and 4k edit that 32g is alot smoother.

g-unit1111

Titan
I ordered the 3200's and had planned to send the 3000's back. Excuse the ignorance but is one of these faster than the other? And are they compatible with each other I may put all 4 in. Some guys said in raw and 4k edit that 32g is alot smoother.

The current gen Ryzens don't have the RAM problems that the first gen Ryzens did. The 3000 is OK, it's what I use on my Ryzen 2600 build. But having faster RAM is ALWAYS better especially for Ryzen.

Just because it's not on the QVL does not mean that it's a no buy. The QVL is mainly a guideline to test a few different modules to make sure that voltages and timings are compatible. It's a newer module than when the board was in the manufacturing process so naturally it wouldn't be. That Corsair RAM that was chosen should be OK to use.

Thanks g-unit1111, I did mention that : The ram you have chosen is not on the QVL for the mobo. That just means it hasn't been tested with the mobo. It doesn't mean it won't work. It just may be tricky to get them to work without playing around with them

g-unit1111

Titan
Thanks g-unit1111, I did mention that : The ram you have chosen is not on the QVL for the mobo. That just means it hasn't been tested with the mobo. It doesn't mean it won't work. It just may be tricky to get them to work without playing around with them

Yes it's a risk you have to take when buying non QVL RAM. The risks really start associating when you start overclocking but as far as RAM goes you really shouldn't enable anything beyond the maximum stated speed or it will end very badly for you.

Mar 10, 2019
I'm not taking a risk, I ordered the correct ones. As much as I want it built it doesn't have to be built today. Just going run the 2 sticks for now and upgrade later. Excited FedEx guy dropped off another big box as we speak.

I'm not taking a risk, I ordered the correct ones. As much as I want it built it doesn't have to be built today. Just going run the 2 sticks for now and upgrade later. Excited FedEx guy dropped off another big box as we speak.

You have one of the best AM4 boards out there. The X470 Taichi is a quality board. When you put the new ram in, make sure to set XMP/DOCP in the bios and it should pick up the rated speeds and voltage automatically to give best performance. If you find they don't work as intended, you may need to manually configure them. It's not too hard. You only have to change a few timings (maybe 5), manually input the memory voltage, and possibly the SOC voltage too. This is all done through the bios. There are lots of guides online to do it. Once you input it manually, save changes and exit it should run them at their rated speed after boot.

Good luck, and let us know how it pans out!

P.S, so what was in the big box?? ;) Hope some goodies!?

The risks really start associating when you start overclocking but as far as RAM goes you really shouldn't enable anything beyond the maximum stated speed or it will end very badly for you.

I don't completely agree with that statement. Of course like most other pieces of hardware, memory can be OC'ed too. Admittedly, I would agree it's not for everyone, and anyone doing so has to have an understanding of how memory works, the timings and how they can impact bandwidth, and voltage to increase speeds. CL rating also has an impact.. I would say/agree, staying close to parameters and not pushing DIMMS too far is important.

My own DIMMS for example, are 2400mhz CL17 Generic Crucial DIMMS. No fancy heat spreader. I've got them running nicely at 2733mhz. Yes only two straps above default, but still it's an improvement. I had to let the CL go out to 20 and loosen 2 other timings to get them steady at 1.25v on the mem, and left the SOC at 1.2. I think I can get them down to CL18, and other timings at default if I give a tiny bit more juice.

My DIMMS are faster and provide more bandwidth at 2733/CL20 than they do at 2400mhz/CL17. I've verified this with Aida. So it can be done, if done correctly.

Sorry, this post slipped by me. It's possible to mix DIMMS. But if you factor in everything kanewolf/g-unit1111 and I said, you can work out that it takes a lot of tinkering to get them to work together. The bottom line is if you could get the two different sets to run, it would be at the lowest common denominator. ie at the speed of the lowest rated DIMMS.

Mixing DIMMS by manufacturer or speed settings can be really problematic. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. So try them, if they work, great. If they don't work don't sweat it and return the other set.

Yes, for video editing more ram can be helpful. But for absolute perfection, you would be looking for a 2 x 16gb kit. Having 4 DIMMS populated in a Ryzen mobo reduces the max speed to 2666mhz, regardless of the speed of the DIMMS you purchase. It's the limitations of the memory controller.

Mar 10, 2019
The box today was the motherboard,ram processor, vidcard,power supply,and ssd came in the mail. All ready wondering about changinging. I did not understand it seems mostly the OS will be on the ssd on the board. I got a 1tb 970evo and wondering if I would be better off with the 970pro 512mb instead,plus it's about $70 cheaper. Is this a worth while change? Also if I put the 2 8gb sticks of ram in can I put 2 sticks of 16gb in later or do they have to be 8gb also? Ohh and yesterday the tower came and the keyboard. Thanks for the replies and working with my ignorance of the subject.

The difference between the two versions of the SSD come down to the read/write speeds of both. The higher capacity drives (1TB,2TB) will typically have faster write speeds than the smaller 512/256gb versions. Yes, price is a factor. But you are paying for a faster device. However, those difference would not be perceivable, and are more for benchmark purposes.

You can add ram later. BUT, again, you may run into the issues we've outlined above. The best advice for max speeds, compatibility etc is two have a 2 x matched kit. Whether it's 2 x 8 or 2 x 16gb or whatever. If you have 2 x 8 now, and add in additional 2 x 16 later. You will have a whack load of ram, but it's possible depending on the configuration you may lose dual channel by having different size DIMMS in the dual channel slots. It cold be problematic. And that all providing you can get the two different sets of DIMMS to work. The capacity of the DIMMS (single rank v dual rank) also plays a part.

If i were you, when the time comes to have 32gbs, I'd just buy 2 x 16gb kit, and sell the current 2 x 8gb kit to offset the cost. I wouldn't bother with trying to get them to work together. Even when you buy a 2 x 8gb kit with certain timings and voltage, and buy another set very similar (maybe another manufacturer) they just may not work together.

The best advice is never to mix and match - That includes different manufacturers, different DIMMS (single sticks or kits) and specially those with different timings and voltage.

Solution
Mar 10, 2019
Well started off good and I put the fan 180* out. Since it has not been powered up can I turn it and put it back without adding thermal paste? Also the heatsink for the ssd has what looks like a thermal cushion with a plastic membrane on it. Does all of this stay on. Me and here both read the manual and it said nothing about it so I am taking it as it is supposed to be there. Other than that it is going together. 👍

Don't think that would be a good idea. Re-applying the paste is best. When you put the paste on first, it takes a few on/off cycles for the paste to set. By not re-applying you run the risk it not setting as it should, and then having to re-apply anyway.

Are you talking about the m2 SSD? I'd be pretty sure you only have to plug in the m2 device, and not mess with the already in place heatsink.

Mar 10, 2019
It seems to be working fine,but I will re-apply to be safe. Asrock replied back and said the thin green plastic film was to be removed. On a good/bad note getting faster at taking this apart. Thanks for the reply.

It seems to be working fine,but I will re-apply to be safe. Asrock replied back and said the thin green plastic film was to be removed. On a good/bad note getting faster at taking this apart. Thanks for the reply.

That's mad, they have that under the heatsink. Can't believe the instructions didn't mention it! See how temps go on the CPU. If you think they are high, or fluctuate wildly, then re-apply.