Did I possibly damage my sound card or computer speakers?

G

Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZX
Speakers: Logitech Z523

I purchased my sound card about three days ago. The only changes that I made to the sound card's software was setting the speakers to 2.1, enabling Dolby Digital Live under Cinematic, enabling the equalizer (flat for videos, and genres such as rock and classical for music), and setting the software volume to 100%. For convenience, I adjust the volume and bass levels using the knobs of my computer speakers, but I never listen to audio at high levels or full blast. I had noticed an occasional single click or static type sound, which according to my inquiries and research is likely clipping. I have reduced the volume level on the sound card to 60% and am currently checking to see if that solves the problem. Right now my computer speakers are connected to the card using a cable with a headphone jack plug connected to the card on one end and RCA plugs connected to the subwoofer on the other end. The card is under a protection plan. However, I am now concerned that the 100% volume setting and other audio adjustments that I mentioned for the card may have damaged the card or speakers. Did I damage the card or speakers?

Thanks

Solution
Usually it takes a lot of power, and I mean A LOT, to blow out speakers. I doubt you did that. The sound card is easy to test. Do you get clean sound out to the speakers and headphones at normal listening levels? If so, the sound card is fine.

The way audio levels work is you have the majority of the sound at a certain level that you listen to, and sometimes the sound 'peaks' such as during an explosion in a game. Now if your speakers can go from 1-10 in volume, and you have your speakers set to 8, this means during a peak the speakers are almost already at max volume and have very little room to increase the sound. When your sound levels hit their maximum, that's when you have clipping. The sound quality is terrible and if you keep...
Usually it takes a lot of power, and I mean A LOT, to blow out speakers. I doubt you did that. The sound card is easy to test. Do you get clean sound out to the speakers and headphones at normal listening levels? If so, the sound card is fine.

The way audio levels work is you have the majority of the sound at a certain level that you listen to, and sometimes the sound 'peaks' such as during an explosion in a game. Now if your speakers can go from 1-10 in volume, and you have your speakers set to 8, this means during a peak the speakers are almost already at max volume and have very little room to increase the sound. When your sound levels hit their maximum, that's when you have clipping. The sound quality is terrible and if you keep running your speakers this way then you can damage them.

A good rule is to keep your levels to around 70% maximum, that leaves room for peaking without clipping. If that's not loud enough for you that just means you need speakers that can handle more power and you need an amp that can supply that power without clipping.

Solution