[SOLVED] Did I receive a broken RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra?

Oct 15, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to PC gaming, been a console guy my whole life but have had experience with PCs as I am a software engineer and growing up I built a few computers with my dad.

So recently I bought a new PC. Specs are as follows: -Ryzen 9 3900X -ASUS Prime x570-pro -NZXT 510 Elite -Z63 AIO -850W Seasonic Focus -Trident Royal 32GB 3200 DDR4 -Currently running a RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra as I type this up.

So here's the story: I had been waiting at microcenter 4 days for the 3080. Finally they got 5 on Monday and I was 3rd in line. Luckily enough they were the one I wanted, the FTW3 Ultra. I go home, DDU the computer, make sure the BIOS drivers are up to date and install the video card. No daisy chaining, 3 individual PCIE cords. I run Timespy in the 3DMark demo and get 99 percentile. Was stoked. Then I boot up fortnite and it starts running horribly. Super choppy and it crashes. I change the settings in Fortnite and turn off G-sync and it starts running a bit better but still crashes. Then I go into MSI Afterburner and downclock and undervolt the card and it starts running really smooth but still a freeze and straight to a black screen.

After that last time that it crashed, the system would not even boot up. I turned it on and then would get either a DRAM or CPU yellow light on the mobo. Then I put the 2070 Super back in and the system boots up and runs flawlessly. Another thing of note is that with the 3080 in the rig, it was crashing in BIOS as well, which I thought was really odd.

Ended up taking my whole rig to micro center with both cards and tested my PSU which was working fine. Don't think its the MOBO or the RAM as both are working fine with the 2070 super. Did I just receive a bad card?

I did an RMA with EVGA and will be receiving a replacement tomorrow but want to make sure that all of my bases are covered.

Solution
Could be your power supply. Usually, most users find that 850 watts just isn't enough, so I'd definitely upgrade that. Before that, however, try disabling gpu boost on your gpu. It might fix it, since its fixed plenty of people's issues

850w of good quality, is plenty for their setup. Theirs is quite good, so I highly doubt its the case.

OP, make sure your bios is up to date. There could be a bug, that is causing you problems, if you are on an early revision. I remember jayz2cents had issues with the Asus DTX x570 board, and found out it just didn't like certain graphics cards.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Could be your power supply. Usually, most users find that 850 watts just isn't enough, so I'd definitely upgrade that. Before that, however, try disabling gpu boost on your gpu. It might fix it, since its fixed plenty of people's issues

logainofhades

Titan

850w of good quality, is plenty for their setup. Theirs is quite good, so I highly doubt its the case.

OP, make sure your bios is up to date. There could be a bug, that is causing you problems, if you are on an early revision. I remember jayz2cents had issues with the Asus DTX x570 board, and found out it just didn't like certain graphics cards.

Solution