Did I win the silicon lottery? (Ryzen 5 1500x)

lewis02

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
I recently overclocked my Ryzen 5 1500x to 3.9 ghz at 1.28 v (stock cooler). My temperatures are as follows:
Idle: between 35 and 40 degrees celsius
Gaming on max settings with uncapped framerates: Between 40 and 48 degrees celsius

Did I win the silicon lottery or is this normal?

Solution

Thats normal, that voltage really isn't that high and the temp won't get way up there unless you play a CPU intensive game.

You want to test it run something like Prime95, that will tell you if its stable and what the load temps really are.

lewis02

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Not yet. I don't really do anything more intensive than gaming on this pc, so I just worry about gaming temps.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats normal, that voltage really isn't that high and the temp won't get way up there unless you play a CPU intensive game.

You want to test it run something like Prime95, that will tell you if its stable and what the load temps really are.

Solution

lewis02

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

I'm still quite new to overclocking, so are there certain voltages that are considered stable? Or does it depend on your pc?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

There are voltages that are too high (can damage the CPU), but the correct voltage is the one that can maintain the clock rate you set and is stable. For Ryzen you want to stay below 1.45v