Question Did motherboard prices go up a lot since 2017?

UKTone

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
I upgraded my pc from my build from around 2017/2016, had a z270 motherboard i believe (both builds are in my signature), i notice the prices of the other components since i get them sometimes and/or their talked about a lot. Motherboards kind of went under the radar for me, i think i spent about 195 for my first mobo, which was this

AORUS Z270X-GAMING 5 LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard

Idk how high end it was and my current is the ASUS Prime Z790-A WIFI (currently selling for 279.99) which i won't be going for a motherboard with wifi or bluetooth capabilities again since i don't use wifi and i the bluetooth from the motherboard (which i didn't know it had bluetooth until recently) is bad and it seems most motherboards' bluetooths are bad. In you guy's opinion, have prices for motherboards gone up? By how much of a percentage since Jan 2017?

Do you think the prices are reasonable? I've seen some motherboards priced around $700, are they actually worth it?
Edit: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#mt=ddr5&c=162&s=40&V=0 there's only 16 products that is compatible with the i7 14700k that pcpartpicker found that can use ddr5, is a Z790, and has no wifi. Wish pcpartpicker had more options like thunderbolt usb, pci-e 5, no bluetooth, etc.

Last edited:
Welcome to the ashes of bitcoin + covid 19 aftermath. I don't even play the New hot out right now parts because there really like buying a car. You used to be able to buy a used car for the cost of a GPU these days.

It's insane. The question you asked , are they worth it? I guess if that's what you have your heart set on and maybe your just getting into PC's and gaming sure. The first one is always special.

That changes when your 25 builds down the road.

From a long time builder of PC's are the prices reasonable. To me no as in two years from now everyone will tell you to upgrade as your than future two year old $3000.00 PC is a piece of crap.

UKTone

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah it depends on everyone's perspective and their needs. At least ram, storage, psus, etc. are still relatively cheap, and looking at the pcpartpicker parts, the mobos are somewhat about the same, but there are just expensive options out there, probably have 4 thunderbolt ports and tons of other things that are great, but idk enough about them. Gpus and cpus definitely need more competition.