Question Did my GPU just die?

st3ph3n

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Just built a PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PB4XH2

It posted first try and everything had been going great. Huge relief since I haven't built my own in at least 15 years. I ran Cinebench several times and my temps were looking great. Only played a few games on it so far, but no issues whatsoever on Destiny 2 with Highest settings and around 180 fps. The fans were quiet and the air coming out of the back of the tower was barely warm.

Last night I did not use the PC at all. I was getting ready for bed and when I walked into the office I heard really loud fans. I walked over, freaking out of course, and tried to wake up the monitor to see what was happening. I kept getting a 'No HDMI Signal' message on the screen. I put my hands near all of the exhaust areas and the air was slightly warm at most, but the GPU fans were screaming. I unplugged and plugged in the HDMI cable a few times and nothing changed so I turned it off.

Now when I restart the computer it starts up fine (all the fans kick on normal speed) and then after a few seconds it gets quieter (GPU Fans shutting off) and the white mobo light kicks on. I tried a bunch of troubleshooting steps that I saw on here and other places with reseating the GPU and the cables and nothing worked. I took the GPU out of the case and connected the HDMI to the motherboard and can get a signal fine and use the computer to type this.

I am looking through the Event Viewer now and here is where it all began with a nvlddmkm error at 1:29am after no other events since 8:03pm. After that I got a WHEA-Logger error followed by a dozen more of the nvlddmkm errors.

Does this confirm it is the GPU that is dead? I don't know where to look for any error files and since the card isn't connected anymore I don't see anything in HWinfo. I am just trying to figure out my next move here. I have until the 9th to return the card to Newegg. They already told me they can only do a refund not a replacement which is a huge bummer. I opened a ticket with Gigabyte, but I am not optimistic based on what I read about their support.

Thanks everyone - it was fun while it lasted!

Lutfij

Titan
Since you've managed to get video output off the iGPU, you can try and first download the latest drivers for your Nvidia GPU off of Nvidia's support site. Following that, use DDU to uninstall all remnants of your GPU drivers. Once done, power down, disconnect from the wall and display then drop in the discrete GPU. Try powering back up and see if you can get display off the discrete GPU.

Side note, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Reactions: helper800

st3ph3n

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Since you've managed to get video output off the iGPU, you can try and first download the latest drivers for your Nvidia GPU off of Nvidia's support site. Following that, use DDU to uninstall all remnants of your GPU drivers. Once done, power down, disconnect from the wall and display then drop in the discrete GPU. Try powering back up and see if you can get display off the discrete GPU.

Hello - Thanks for the reply. I will try your suggestion out.

As for the side note, the computer is like 4 days old. I updated the motherboard bios to the latest version on Sunday and same with the Nvidia drivers. Everything was running perfectly fine until 1:29 am last night when the computer was idle for at least 6 hours.

st3ph3n

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

Had no luck with the steps above, but I had an old HP PC with a 970 inside of it and was able to get out and install. It works fine with the 970. It even told me to plug the power in after i seated it and forgot to. If I do that with the 3080 it doesn't say anything - it is like it can't even see the card anymore.