Question did my i7 4790k die on me?

dcb949

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
9
0
1,510
0
so two nights ago i was playing CSGO and i was playing competitve on a map i normally dont play and during the match i was getting half the fps i normally get.... I thought it was the map considering when i asked ingame everyone was saying the map drops ur fps... well yesterday morning i noticed my cpu was running at around 95-99d Celsius.. So it wasnt hot enough for my pc to catch and shut down but was hot enough i think to cause some damage considering i was running my pc for maybe 8-12 hours while this problem was happening w/o knowing it... I thought it was my corsair h60 water cooler because i was having some problems with that before with it not cooling my cpu. 2 weeks ago i got a new (used) motherboard because my asus z97-a'd ram slots died on me... So my computer will turn on but it doesnt catch a signal from my monitor or my keyboard or mouse or anything.... its just a black screen. Ive tried taking it apart, tried 1 piece of ram, tried no ram, tried through my on-board display ports... This computer often does this too
me.... making me think its dead but then i figure out it wasnt... so what do you guys think i should do??

this is what im currently using

PC Specs
Manufacture: Myself
Case: Thermaltake Commander G41
OS: Windows 10 Home
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate
CPU: Intel i7-4790K (OC @ 4.4GHz)
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 750w
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 & 6x Corsair 120mm Fans
SSD1: Kingston 120GB SSD (OS SSD)
SSD2: Crucial 240GB (Games SSD)
HD: Asus 1TB Black (Storage HD)
 
so two nights ago i was playing CSGO and i was playing competitve on a map i normally dont play and during the match i was getting half the fps i normally get.... I thought it was the map considering when i asked ingame everyone was saying the map drops ur fps... well yesterday morning i noticed my cpu was running at around 95-99d Celsius.. So it wasnt hot enough for my pc to catch and shut down but was hot enough i think to cause some damage considering i was running my pc for maybe 8-12 hours while this problem was happening w/o knowing it... I thought it was my corsair h60 water cooler because i was having some problems with that before with it not cooling my cpu. 2 weeks ago i got a new (used) motherboard because my asus z97-a'd ram slots died on me... So my computer will turn on but it doesnt catch a signal from my monitor or my keyboard or mouse or anything.... its just a black screen. Ive tried taking it apart, tried 1 piece of ram, tried no ram, tried through my on-board display ports... This computer often does this too
me.... making me think its dead but then i figure out it wasnt... so what do you guys think i should do??

this is what im currently using

PC Specs
Manufacture: Myself
Case: Thermaltake Commander G41
OS: Windows 10 Home
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate
CPU: Intel i7-4790K (OC @ 4.4GHz)
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 750w
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 & 6x Corsair 120mm Fans
SSD1: Kingston 120GB SSD (OS SSD)
SSD2: Crucial 240GB (Games SSD)
HD: Asus 1TB Black (Storage HD)
Did you replace the thermal paste when you changed motherboards? Did you reset the bios to defaults to remove overclocks? Have you tried another power supply?

I would first reset the bios to defaults if you haven't already, so the system can run without an overclock. If you have another power supply, you should try using that next. If the system won't boot up after trying either of those, take out the CPU and check the CPU socket pins. If you were overclocking the CPU and it was running hot because your AIO cooler was having issues cooling the CPU, it's possible you keep breaking/melting CPU pins. Check the CPU pins on the other motherboard if you still have it.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS