[SOLVED] Did my PSU kill my GPU and was it causing my PC to hit such high temperatures?

Oct 7, 2020
Hello,

last month my GPU died (started showing thick pixelated lines over dispay) and Ill be getting a new one soon (MSI RTX 5700 XT Gaming X, probably). My last GPU was a Zotac GeForce RTX 2070S and the idea was that it was just faulty. I complained about the customer serice in the story I bought my GPU on reddit about thier return policy and someone pointed out that the cause of failiure could have been a lousy PSU. My PSU is a Thermaltake Litepower RGB 650W, I know this isn't the best PSU but could it have really killed my GPU?

I have a biostar racing x570 gt mobo
a ryzen 5 3600x (stock cooler with pre-applied paste)
and a Falcon Zeus RGB Window case (don't bother googling it, it's a knock off case and probably has 0 airflow).
So what do you guys think? Is my PSU the culprit or killing my GPU and overheating or was it something else?
What could cause a Ryzen 5 3600x to heat up to 90 degrees?

Solution
Thank you for the reply. I'm definitely replacing it now. I don't care about RGB (yet. Id like to fix up my pc before making a lightshow) so it really isn't a requirement. I'd just like a nice reliable PSU that will be able to handle the Ryzen 5 3600x and the MSI RTX 5700 XT Gaming X both without overclocking.
If you want lots of choices, check this list. If you stick to tiers A or B you should be fine. You'll find your Thermalcrap on tier D, one step above fire hazard..
Hello,

last month my GPU died (started showing thick pixelated lines over dispay) and Ill be getting a new one soon (MSI RTX 5700 XT Gaming X, probably). My last GPU was a Zotac GeForce RTX 2070S and the idea was that it was just faulty. I complained about the customer serice in the story I bought my GPU on reddit about thier return policy and someone pointed out that the cause of failiure could have been a lousy PSU. My PSU is a Thermaltake Litepower RGB 650W, I know this isn't the best PSU but could it have really killed my GPU?

I have a biostar racing x570 gt mobo
a ryzen 5 3600x (stock cooler with pre-applied paste)
and a Falcon Zeus RGB Window case (don't bother googling it, it's a knock off case and probably has 0 airflow).
So what do you guys think? Is my PSU the culprit or killing my GPU and overheating or was it something else?
What could cause a Ryzen 5 3600x to heat up to 90 degrees?
Tough to say if the PSU is responsible for the issue, but what can be said is that it's a total piece of garbage. It's bad enough that it's recommended not to use any GPU with it and only use it with systems using integrated graphics. Replace it with an actual good quality PSU. If you really want RGB we can do that too.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=9SIAMNPAY19367,9SIAMNPAY44593

Oct 7, 2020
Tough to say if the PSU is responsible for the issue, but what can be said is that it's a total piece of garbage. It's bad enough that it's recommended not to use any GPU with it and only use it with systems using integrated graphics. Replace it with an actual good quality PSU. If you really want RGB we can do that too.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=9SIAMNPAY19367,9SIAMNPAY44593
Thank you for the reply. I'm definitely replacing it now. I don't care about RGB (yet. Id like to fix up my pc before making a lightshow) so it really isn't a requirement. I'd just like a nice reliable PSU that will be able to handle the Ryzen 5 3600x and the MSI RTX 5700 XT Gaming X both without overclocking.

If you want lots of choices, check this list. If you stick to tiers A or B you should be fine. You'll find your Thermalcrap on tier D, one step above fire hazard..

Reactions: alksndr202
Solution
Oct 7, 2020
Thank you so much. You are very nice