[SOLVED] Did my PSU kill my graphics card ?

Mangaheld

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Hey guys,

Less than two weeks ago my system started to suddenly get blackscreens out of nowhere. It didn't really matter whether I was playing a game or just surfing through the web.
Sometimes I was still able to hear the sound clearly (Couldn't do any inputs though), sometimes I was hearing the typical stutter that you'd expect from a blackscreen and sometimes nothing at all.
As soon as one blackscreen came, the next one was sure to come soon.
In general they got more frequent with every day that passed.
After swapping out components, we narrowed the failing down to the graphics card.
When I put in the graphics card of my friend, my system was fine and when I put my graphics card into his system, his pc crashed quickly. (The second time it didn't start at all until we removed my graphics card from his system)
I already got a new graphics card (MSI GTX 1660Ti Ventus XS OC) and everything works as it should but I'm still not sure what caused my R9 to die.
Is it possible that my PSU killed it ?

My system specs were:

Seasonic 620w S12II 80+ Bronze PSU (Almost 3 years old)
Sapphire R9 390 Nitro (Almost 3 years old)
16GB DDR4 RAM (2* 8GB G.Skill Aegis) (2 Months old)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with Noctua NH-D15S as a cooler (2 Months old)
Sandisk 480GB SSD and a 1TB HDD (2 years old)

I have never overclocked my graphics card or CPU. (I did use the XMP-Profiles on my RAM though)
I'm kinda furious because I really tried to be on the safe side with my computer and my graphics card STILL broke after less than 3 years when I was still happy with the performance.
When it comes to temperatures, my graphics card often reached 70°C while gaming.
I also adjusted my GPU fan curve about the same time I got my new CPU . I set the fan speed to very high percentages when the GPU reached 70 degrees.
Another observation: When the graphics card started to fail, it got warm quickly in idle even though MSI Afterburner and other programs that can observe temperatures didn't really show anything out of the ordinary for the GPU temp.
(I noticed this when I took the GPU out)

I hope that those are enough details. If I forgot anything, just tell me. :)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
There's no inherent reason that PSU would kill your GPU, it's a good PSU and it's a good size. I wouldn't point the finger of blame at it.

Cards sometimes just die. (PSU's that are good also sometimes just die, but you didn't make a bad choice on the PSU)

Check for an RMA on the card.
There's no inherent reason that PSU would kill your GPU, it's a good PSU and it's a good size. I wouldn't point the finger of blame at it.

Cards sometimes just die. (PSU's that are good also sometimes just die, but you didn't make a bad choice on the PSU)

Check for an RMA on the card.

Reactions: Mangaheld
Solution

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Well, I have only had a Nvidia GTS 8800 die on me.

The causes:

1. Insufficient case ventilation which caused the card to work at high temperatures.
  2. I didn't artificially limit the FPS of the card to 60 (I didn't even know I could at the time), so the card always ran at max throttle when gaming.

Anything that works very often at max RPM"s will eventually crap out.

Reactions: Mangaheld

Mangaheld

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you for your answers.
I'm glad if the PSU isn't broken because I don't really feel like going through the trouble of not having a PSU while I'm waiting for the replacement from Seasonic haha
Just out of curiosity though, how many years should you keep a PSU before getting a new one?

Sadly, Sapphires warranty in Germany ended after 2 years. Only the RX 4xx and newer cards have 3 years of warranty.

I was using VSync all the time (so the fps were capped to 60) but tbf I cranked the settings as much as I could without dropping under 60 frames.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Thank you for your answers.
I'm glad if the PSU isn't broken because I don't really feel like going through the trouble of not having a PSU while I'm waiting for the replacement from Seasonic haha
Just out of curiosity though, how many years should you keep a PSU before getting a new one?

Sadly, Sapphires warranty in Germany ended after 2 years. Only the RX 4xx and newer cards have 3 years of warranty.

I was using VSync all the time (so the fps were capped to 60) but tbf I cranked the settings as much as I could without dropping under 60 frames.

A quality PSU (such as my own Silverstone Strider Gold) is rated for

100,000 hours of continuous operation (24/7) at full power output.

This works out to 11.5 years.

Superior quality PSU's are rated for 150,000 hours of 24/7 at full power output.

Don't buy any PSU that's not rated for 100,000 hours MTBF.

My PSU now has been in my system for 7 years and it was made around 2010-2011 so it's 8-9 years old.