Question Did the gpu die or my psu

Jan 2, 2023
Hello people,

Today I bought an used 3080ti and put that into my system. I have an 750 watts 80+ gold psu from be quiet (abt 5 years old)

well, when I turned the system on, smoke came out of the gpu 100% (I saw it and the rest of the system doesn’t smell I think)

my question is: can I put my old 1080ti in it without any danger of damaging more parts? What should I do? I can’t return the 3080ti because it’s used but that’s okay , can I just keep using my old system? (When smoke came out of the gpu, I immediately turned everything off) smoke came out of the gpu in an INSTANT. So It didn’t have time to post or anything. The fans were spinning for like 2 seconds.

specs:

ryzen 5600x

3080ti

32 gigs ram

750 watt 80+ Gold be quiet psu

Impossible to tell for sure without testing. But I guess it is far more likely it was just bad GPU rather then PSU failing - but honestly it can't be ruled out. If you have the multimeter you can start the PSU using paperclip test trick and measure voltages on PCIe cables. If they are okay then I guess it should be fine to try using old GPU.

Jan 2, 2023
I started the pc without any GPU and it turned on (obv no Video have noIGPU) but it turned on, no smoke no smell or anything. I think it was just the new gpu that was bad

Jan 2, 2023
I don’t know how to get the thingy open that hides the PSU. I put my old card in and it works. I’m gonna run cinebench and furmark for an hour to see if it will catch fire since that 2 tests should draw the maximum amount of power right. Everything works so far , new gpu is fried

Jan 2, 2023
Question is: what is my Test safe, or should I buy a new PSU anyways ? I really think it was the GPU since there is no smell in my Setup right now , and smoke only came out of the new GPU

Question is: what is my Test safe, or should I buy a new PSU anyways ? I really think it was the GPU since there is no smell in my Setup right now , and smoke only came out of the new GPU
If it works then it works. If the PSU would be damaged by 3080 you would see it immediately after starting with 1080. Then again if you still plan on upgrading GPU getting new PSU might be necessary anyway.

Reactions: Kurdology
Jan 2, 2023
Ok thank you so much for helping me, in advance. I do have one more question : I let furmark run 20 minutes , do you think this will suffice and I can game in peace until I buy a completely new rig ? (Abt 1 year)

Ok thank you so much for helping me, in advance. I do have one more question : I let furmark run 20 minutes , do you think this will suffice and I can game in peace until I buy a completely new rig ? (Abt 1 year)
You know that electronics usually die unexpectedly. One moment everything's fine, next <insert random component name> is dead. The fact that your rig works right now means only that it works fine right now - no future predictions are possible. So there is no real reason to worry about the future - just enjoy the present state.