[SOLVED] Did Undervolting damage my Motherboard or any of my components?

Jan 10, 2021
Hello. I have undervolted my CPU, causing no boot so I resetted my CMOS by taking out the battery and loaded Optimized Default on my BIOS. I finally managed to boot to Windows but the display goes out after 5-10 seconds. I also got 99 BIOS error code twice, A2 Error code prior to that. My friend says my mobo bricked.

My specs are: Ryzen 5 2600 Biostar b450mh
Xfx rx5704gb
Tforce dark z 8gb single channel
Fsp hyper k 500w 80+ white

Now I'm afraid booting up my PC would be a lottery if it will display or crash. What do you think I should do?

Solution
Should I be worried?
na - the longer your computer seem to be in working order, the greater the chance for something not correctly set.

You could of course monitor the temps and voltages to see if it's stable, but only if you suspect something is wrong

Well - there is actually one test that make sense. To test the RAM integrity - you could use Memtest86+ for that purpose.
I don't know the stock voltage of R5 2600. As far as I can remember, the voltage was at 1.2v and now when I go to Ryzen Master, it does say it's on 1.2v
It's highly unlikely to do any harm to the hardware by under-volting. It is possible to do harm to your Windows installation, though, if it crashes or corrupts important registry entries, for instance.

1.2V is way to low for a fixed voltage setting so it's no wonder it's crashy.

In BIOS CPU Vcore should be on AUTO. When set up that way in use it can fluctuate from very low (like less than 1V when in a C6 sleep state) to 1.4 (or more) when boosting in light, bursty loads. If you want to want to test out undervolting only do it with OFFSET voltage adjustments and in smaller increments to test. That probably means doing it in BIOS. If you used RyzenMaster it could be loading the under-volt setting when you run it. So be sure to reset Ryzenmaster to defaults too.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021
It's highly unlikely to do any harm to the hardware by under-volting. It is possible to do harm to your Windows installation, though, if it crashes or corrupts important registry entries, for instance.

1.2V is way to low for a fixed voltage setting so it's no wonder it's crashy.

In BIOS CPU Vcore should be on AUTO. When set up that way in use it can fluctuate from very low (like less than 1V when in a C6 sleep state) to 1.4 (or more) when boosting in light, bursty loads. If you want to want to test out undervolting only do it with OFFSET voltage adjustments and in smaller increments to test. That probably means doing it in BIOS. If you used RyzenMaster it could be loading the under-volt setting when you run it. So be sure to reset Ryzenmaster to defaults too.
I've tried that but Ryzen Master says my "CPU Parameters are already in stock. Nothing to reset!"

Jan 10, 2021
Update:
Somehow my PC is now stable. I've been playing Apex for almost 4 hours now and so far it hasn't crashed. However, I am getting a BIOS error code 99. I tried unplugging any USB devices connected on my PC but it's still there. Other than that, the PC seems use-able.

Should I be worried?

Should I be worried?
na - the longer your computer seem to be in working order, the greater the chance for something not correctly set.

You could of course monitor the temps and voltages to see if it's stable, but only if you suspect something is wrong

Well - there is actually one test that make sense. To test the RAM integrity - you could use Memtest86+ for that purpose.

Solution
Jan 10, 2021

I just finished testing the RAM and it passed without any errors. What should my next step?