[SOLVED] difference between bandwidth and bus width

Solution
Bus width is more like the volume of traffic able to be driven. A 192 would be like a 2 lane highway, you can fit 2 cars side by side, followed by 2 more etc, all doing the bus clock speed. A 256 would be like a 3 lane, a 764 like a 6 lane super highway with 6 cars side by side.

Bandwidth is the size of the car, some can carry only 2 ppl (old hdd), a bus can carry 30 ppl (Gen4 NVMe)

Bus clock is the speed the car can move, according to travel conditions.

If I got the analogies straight lol.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bus width is more like the volume of traffic able to be driven. A 192 would be like a 2 lane highway, you can fit 2 cars side by side, followed by 2 more etc, all doing the bus clock speed. A 256 would be like a 3 lane, a 764 like a 6 lane super highway with 6 cars side by side.

Bandwidth is the size of the car, some can carry only 2 ppl (old hdd), a bus can carry 30 ppl (Gen4 NVMe)

Solution

LOL. You know what the real definitions are, but I didn't want to bring Mhz into the whole bandwidth definition because even though it's right, it's one more thing to try to explain.

But I think you've got the analogy as close as it can be :) Now, it will be up to the OP if all of this is more confusing than the bus width, clock speeds, and bandwidth regular definitions, lol.