Discussion difference between CPU INTEL CORE I7 - 9700K LGA 1151V2 and I7 9700K LGA 1151 ?

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Hi
Thanks for any info,
I have an MSI Mortar which is LGA 1151 nd got chance of buying an i7 9700K which is 1151V2 and cannot find an answer to my question

Feb 28, 2021
Hi
Thanks for any info,
I have an MSI Mortar which is LGA 1151 nd got chance of buying an i7 9700K which is 1151V2 and cannot find an answer to my question
The intel specs are all here.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html#@Processors

As for me, upgrading a cpu without upgrading the mother makes no sense as they are a tandem unit. If you look at your resource monitor you will see how much your task push your cpu now, unless it is really stressed your gains will be less than you imagine they might be

Reactions: harveywan

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
The intel specs are all here.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html#@Processors

As for me, upgrading a cpu without upgrading the mother makes no sense as they are a tandem unit. If you look at your resource monitor you will see how much your task push your cpu now, unless it is really stressed your gains will be less than you imagine they might be

Thanks for your reply but I am a little puzzled by it. From looking at MSI specs the i7 9700K is perfectly accomodated in my MSI Mortar B360M MB. At this time I have an i5 9600K @ 3.70GHz but because I always wanted an i7 9700K with an intention to do some "gaming " and have recently been offered a real bargain of a second hand deal from a friend , I thought I would explore the pluses and minuses of buying it and indeed if it is possible to actually install and run, hence my question about the variant LGA which I cannot find a definitive answer to my OP question; "Is the LGA 1151 the same as the LGA 1151V2 and if not what are the differences ?"

Feb 28, 2021
Thanks for your reply but I am a little puzzled by it. From looking at MSI specs the i7 9700K is perfectly accomodated in my MSI Mortar B360M MB. At this time I have an i5 9600K @ 3.70GHz but because I always wanted an i7 9700K with an intention to do some "gaming " and have recently been offered a real bargain of a second hand deal from a friend , I thought I would explore the pluses and minuses of buying it and indeed if it is possible to actually install and run, hence my question about the variant LGA which I cannot find a definitive answer to my OP question; "Is the LGA 1151 the same as the LGA 1151V2 and if not what are the differences ?"
Your game performance is more determined by the video processing on your card than the cpu. I can not give you numbers but what you see in the way of improvement will be trivial as your video processing and networking speed will be identical. Now if you get a state of the art cpu on a state of the art board with a state of the art video processor your speeds will increase, however your speed on and off the net will still be the same. Just keep that in mind and consider buying stock in intel rather than buying a new cpu

Reactions: harveywan

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
I still don't (Not up to speed on interpreting the links ) have an answer to my question and wonder if people think that the question has been answered for me, maybe some kind hearted soul can educate me please?

On another issue as I said I have a MSI Mortar with 2 x M2 nvme slots. One slot has a Samsung Evo 970 500 Gb Nvme acting as the C; drive. Is it possible to insert another Nvme of the same type and volume into the second slot on the MB and then link the 2 Nvme together as one Drive? Thanks once again for answering the questions of a 76 year old Tyro