Difference between custom 1070?

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
Hi guys and gals

I'm about to buy myself a new GPU as mine is nearing the end of its life and usefulness....currently I have a GTX 660 which has served me pretty well.

I'm looking at getting a GTX 1070, but there are so many different ones I have no idea which to get.

The prices are also quite wide apart.

I've seen some for as little as €400, and others way over the €500 mark (all new products)

What are the things I should look out for, are there any custom manufacturers I should avoid and are some better for overclocking than others?? Or are they all much of a muchness??

My current setup
Rosewill Capstone G750 PSU (brand new, got it this week)
I7-3770K CPU
GTX 660 GPU (outgoing)
16G RAM (Corsair I believe)
Asus P8B75-M Mobo (this will get replaced next month I think, and I'll be asking what a good Mobo is to go with the rest of my setup :) )
256 GB SSD
1 TB Internal HD
1 TB External HD (will be upgrading this to a min of 2TB soonish too)
MS-Tech CA-0280 | ATX Midi Gaming Tower PRO X "Venomous Longhorn"

(this setup (except the new PSU) I've had since I bought the machine 4-5 years ago)

If there's anything I've missed that is important, please ask

Cheers all in advance

Jason

Solution
oc potential is not a thing for the pascal cards. they all hit the same speeds no matter what they come out of the box clocked at. boost 3.0 will take the card as high as it can go no matter what ti costs. other than the Founder's Edition, the rest all run almost identical in game fps. within a couple either way. nothing to really worry about.

the best one is the one that is priced right and looks good to you. for a list of the models available and the specs see here. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902599

note the wide variety of sizes and power needs as well as cooling they come with. really not a bad card among them, simply ones that are priced beyond what...
Well, the main differences are the base clock / boost clock out the box and cooling.

First, look at the prices, search the cheapest and the expensive one, look benchmarks. For me, i always search for

1) Stable temperature in gaming performance.
2) Future overclocking. (Note here: Just don't trust random videos on youtuber about -THIS GTX 1070 OC'ED TO 2.3Ghz- just search guys which overclocked similar card on some forums. Each card is different so OC is a lottery).
3) Warranty. Something you will considerer at the time to buy the card.

In general, almost any manufacter out there do a really good job on their cards. Glad to us, we can see reviews, benchmarks and OC'ing potential.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
oc potential is not a thing for the pascal cards. they all hit the same speeds no matter what they come out of the box clocked at. boost 3.0 will take the card as high as it can go no matter what ti costs. other than the Founder's Edition, the rest all run almost identical in game fps. within a couple either way. nothing to really worry about.

the best one is the one that is priced right and looks good to you. for a list of the models available and the specs see here. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902599

note the wide variety of sizes and power needs as well as cooling they come with. really not a bad card among them, simply ones that are priced beyond what you wish to spend. reviews are linked as well if you wish to see a few for some of the more popular models. overall, having read all those and many more, i can say i have yet to see any card that got better fps than the others, nor had any major cooling or noise differences. a few decibels and a few degrees separated them all other than the watercooled ones.

Solution

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015

Hi again

I have an MS- tech CA-0280 | ATX Midi Gaming Tower PRO X "Venomous Longhorn"

It has 1 fan at the front, and 2 fans on the side

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4 main types:

Reference board reference cooler (Nvidia design, actually decent cooling potential)
Reference board blower cooler (A cheap off the shelf cooler, usually a large lump of aluminum and fins with a plastic body)
Reference board custom cooler (Nvidia board design, custom cooler, see EVGA ACX 3.0 Gaming and Gaming SC.
Custom board custom cooler (AIB partner (EVGA, MSI, ASUS, etc) custom PCBs with more VRMs and other features, see EVGA FTW or Classified)

Pascal cards have GPU Boost 3.0. This really levels the playing field. Basically if there is available temperature (pretty much before all other considerations) the GPU will run as fast as possible, even beyond their rated numbers. Minor voltage and power settings tweaking can take an off the shelf card and run in the 1900Mhz-2000Mhz range. Some of the custom cards can indeed reach 2100-2200Mhz on the average.

Bottom line, you won't be disappointed with any of them compared to a GTX 660.

Pretty much any Z77 board is what you'll need. They don't make them anymore, so you will be buying new old stock at possibly a price premium. Used might be a good option here.

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
Thanks so much guys, all really great advice here

I'll check out the links you've given and have a good read through and check the benchmarks etc when I get home from work in about 90 minutes :-D

Thanks again all, and if I have any other queries, I'll post them here

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
I've had a look through everything that you all put here, and have come across this one

It's a KFA2 (apparently GALAX in the US) GTX 1070 EX OC Sniper

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/galax_gtx_1070_exoc_sniper/

Currently available via Amazon.NL for 437 euro

If anyone has time and wants to read through this and give an opinion, that would be fantastic

If it seems like a good buy, i'll more than likely order this over the weekend o_O

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the galax cards (KFA2) reviewed very well, as you can see from the review you linked. they ran cool and quiet and are priced well

you would be getting a great card with that choice. just ensure you have the 6 and 8 pin power connections for it and you're good to go

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
Yes, I just got a Rosewill Capstone G750 PSU (I got that based on info from here too...its apparently a Tier 2), and it has 2x 6+2 power connectors for the GPU :-D

Thank you all very much for your input, it is very much appreciated to get such advice from experts :)