Question Difference between DRAM frequency (or real clock) and frequency (or memory speed)

Jul 24, 2024
Hello,

I have been looking for an answer to this on the internet, but I have not yet found one.

I am wondering why there is a difference between my "DRAM frequency" (or "real clock") and my "frequency" (or "memory speed").

Here is my computer's specs (Speccy link):
-Computer/laptop model: HP 15s-fq1514na
-CPU: Intel Core i5 1035G4 @ 1.10GHz
-Motherboard: HP 86C9 (U3E1)
-Hard drive: 238GB SAMSUNG MZVLQ256HBJD-00BH1
-RAM: 2xDDR4 4GB 2666MHz Micron Technology 4ATF51264HZ-2G6E1 (8GB total)
-Operating system: Windows 11 Home 64-bit

I am wondering why I am getting DRAM frequency/real clock of 1067 MHz (2133MHz) while my RAM frequency/memory speed is 1333MHz (2666MHz).

I have read in some places that I'd need to enable XMP to allow higher RAM clock/frequency, but XMP enabling is not possible/doesn't exist on this non-gaming HP laptop. I have also read that DDR4 RAM base clock speed/frequency is 2133MHz.

However, I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can increase my RAM frequency up to 2666MHz with this machine/computer. My DRAM frequency also varies, sometimes going higher, but I'm wondering if/how I could keep it at a stable (or close to) 1333 MHz.

There was 1x4GB memory module of the above-listed RAM already installed when I got this computer, and I added another identical 1x4GB module.

Thank you! I've included links to relevant system images (CPU-Z, Speccy, AIDA64, Task Manager memory performance). Here they are as well, all in one.

sacerdose

I am wondering why there is a difference between my "DRAM frequency" (or "real clock") and my "frequency" (or "memory speed").
Your ram is running at 2133mhz effective speed.
Real speed is 1066mhz with two data transfers per cycle. So effective speed is 2x.

2666mhz is rated speed for your ram modules.
They can run at that speed, if ram overclocking is available.
However, I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can increase my RAM frequency up to 2666MHz with this machine/computer.
If BIOS doesn't allow this, then you can't.
I have read in some places that I'd need to enable XMP to allow higher RAM clock/frequency, but XMP enabling is not possible/doesn't exist on this non-gaming HP laptop.
If possible show screenshots for available options in BIOS.
You may have overlooked some ram configuration options,

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2024
If possible show screenshots for available options in BIOS.
You may have overlooked some ram configuration options,
Hi,

Thanks your for your response.

Here are all the pictures I was able to take from the BIOS. I didn't seem to be able to find any options to modify the RAM.

Your ram is running at 2133mhz effective speed.
Real speed is 1066mhz with two data transfers per cycle. So effective speed is 2x.

2666mhz is rated speed for your ram modules.
They can run at that speed, if ram overclocking is available.
Ok, thanks. I just find it funny or bizarre that computers will not budge on the effective speed, especially since 2133MHz is the base speed/default. Is it possible that my computer has dynamic RAM speed? As mentioned in my previous post, the DRAM frequency fluctuates sometimes going above 1067MHz, but it always seems to come back to 1067MHz, as a kind of resting frequency. I just haven't heard or seen anything about dynamic RAM speed/frequency anywhere.

Also, the chip that is in the computer allows up to DDR4-3200 and LPDDR4-3733 (i.e., "Memory Types"), but I just find it strange that the computer wouldn't allow the memory to go up to this speed/frequency or budge at all. Again, it could be the computer (OEM) vs chip being responsible for this, but I also find it strange why the computer comes with a 4GB 2666MHz module then.

Thank you!