Difference between GPU clock speed and Memory clock speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamenerd007

Reputable
May 4, 2014
Hi I am noob at overclocking I would like to know the main difference between gpu clock and memory clock of a graphics card . also how i can over clock them to get the best gaming experience without any damage to hardware
MY RIG SPECS:
MB: Gigabit 78lm USB 3
RAM: DDR3 4GB
CPU: AMD FX 6300 `3.5 GHz(6 core)
GPU Raedon R7 240 (2 GB DDR 3)
Win 7 32 bit

thanks

Solution
the memory clock speed is the speed that the memory works at, the gpu clock is the speed that the gpu core works at. If you can't figure that out on your own, then you should not be overclocking, sorry to say it, but you evidently can't do some fairly simple research, and much much more complex research and understanding is required to OC safely and for the long term.

RanriZedd

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
u should be careful. download Gpu shark and install it. also download mdi afterburner to over clock.
increase the gpu and memory clock by 5 and apply it. Run the benchmark in GPU shark. IF you see ANY artifacts (green/blue/purple/red boxes) on your screen turn it down by 5. if you increase to much the driver might crash. just keep increasing slowly and make sure you don't see any artifacts - if you do you've over clocked a bit too much

RanriZedd

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
The gpu clock increases the Pixel fillrate when u over clock - you can see it when u over clock if u use GpuZ. its quite complicated but the gpu clock will mainly increase performance.
im not so sure about the memory clock though.

the memory clock speed is the speed that the memory works at, the gpu clock is the speed that the gpu core works at. If you can't figure that out on your own, then you should not be overclocking, sorry to say it, but you evidently can't do some fairly simple research, and much much more complex research and understanding is required to OC safely and for the long term.

Solution

Alpha3031

Honorable
I seem to recall there was a really good guide here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340404-33-wolfram-overclocking-guide

GPU clock = better general performance
Mem clock = higher memory bandwidth

so increase core until you either get bottlenecked (by the memory bandwidth) or hit a wall (crashes/instability)
if a bottleneck increase if instability decrease (the mem clock, that is) if you hit both drop clocks by 5 MHz and you're done

gamenerd007

Reputable
May 4, 2014

i told u i am a noob at this anyway

gamenerd007

Reputable
May 4, 2014

thanks , i have overclocked my gpu from 730 to 780 ... my driver allows me to overclock till 900 MHz . yes performance is better now , though i have left the memory clock unchanged to default 800 . I did all this from the amd catalyt control :)
and game is running smoothly enough

Alpha3031

Honorable

That's probably why he's asking, you know.

there's a modicum of knowledge that he should have before OC'ing, and the difference between memory and core clocks is some of that. If he had asked about the difference, because he wanted to learn then fine, I have no concern over that, but asking so that he can OC is indicating a complete lack of base skills and knowledge necessary and will result in the magic smoke escaping.

Also the answer the question of what is the difference he wouldn't need to ask someone, google can tell him that or an article on the latest gen of cards would tell him that, at which point he has learnt how to learn and research for himself, which will be invaluable when hitting a snag whilst OC'ing or doing something out of the ordinary.

Yuten

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
I have a simpler question:

Hypothetically, IF I had 2 gpu's of the exact same model/brand/memspeed/etc... But the only 2 differences are:

GPU 1 has 50% higher clock speed than GPU 2

AND

GPU 2 has 50% more memory than GPU 1

If the game we are playing (on full Graphic settings) uses:

100% higher clock speed than GPU 2 AND 100% more ram than GPU 1

(Without overclocking) Would clock speed or mem size be better for frames?
and how do they scale compared to each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.